Online Now, In-Person Later
You can begin your U.S. studies online today and join us in person later.
Online Course Information
ECC delivers a high-quality academic experience for students enrolled in online courses. Online courses are offered in two formats:
Online Asynchronous: Classes on your own time.
- You complete your coursework online and connect to your classmates and instructor without logging in during specific days or times. Asynchronous classes have no live instruction or scheduled meeting times.
- You work on time to meet deadlines and maintain course participation through online discussions and activities.
- These classes are ideal for self-motivated students who can independently manage their time.
Online Synchronous: Scheduled course participation via virtual sessions.
- Your class will have online delivery with dedicated virtual classroom time.
- You and your classmates connect with the instructor simultaneously in their virtual classroom space.
- You will be online at specific times to participate in class lectures, discussions, and presentations.
- Synchronous learning is a great option if you are in a compatible time zone or wish to have synchronous/live instruction with faculty and fellow students!
- These classes are like regular in-person classes with faculty and class interaction, but online.
Have more questions about what it is like to take an online class with ECC? Check out our online class FAQ.
How it Works
Step 1: Apply
Visit the Center for Global Engagement and fill out the online application. Upload your high school transcripts, passport photocopy, and evidence of financial support. Make sure to sign your application and the financial agreement. If you have it, upload proof of English proficiency.
Step 2: Register and take ECC online classes in your home country.
After meeting with your academic advisor virtually and taking your online placement test, you can register for your classes through the accessECC portal.
Step 3: Apply for your F-1 visa and come to ECC.
When you are ready, use your I-20 form to schedule your visa interview at the United States embassy or consulate in your home country. Remember to pay your I-901 SEVIS fee and schedule your arrival in the U.S. within 30 days of your program start date.
Step 4: Complete your ECC degree and transfer to a top U.S. university through ECC’s 2+2 University Transfer program.
After completing two years at ECC, you can transfer to a university to complete your bachelor’s degree through our Transfer Degree Programs 2+2 transfer programs.
Take a Virtual Tour
Imagine yourself at Elgin Community College from wherever you are. View the classes and spaces you’ll walk as a student. No matter where you are in your college search, we can help.View Virtual Tour