Skip to content


Please review the process to apply for federal and state grants.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

This grant is available to eligible undergraduate students enrolled in an eligible program at ECC and taking at least one credit hour. Awards range from $767 to $7,395 for 2024-2025 and are based on enrollment status and Student Aid Index(SAI).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • This fund is awarded to Pell-eligible students only.
  • Priority is given to students with a $0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and those with low EFCs.
  • Actual award amounts are determined yearly and are based on federal allocation.
  • Awards are given to students in both the fall and spring terms (the award is not given in the summer semester).
  • Students enrolled full-time and less than full-time are eligible to receive this award.

Federal Veterans Education Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill® Education and Training page contains in-depth information about the various education benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. To contact a veterans benefits counselor, please call 888-442-4551.

Military Tuition Assistance (T.A.)

Elgin Community College accepts T.A. from the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines.

Application Process

Each military branch has its own TA application form and procedures. To find out how to get started, visit your local installation education center, go online to a virtual education center, or click on the following links for each service branch:

Before your course enrollment, you may be required to develop an education plan or complete a TA orientation. Your service’s education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

Using T.A. at ECC

If an eligible Service member decides to use Tuition Assistance (TA), Elgin Community College will enroll them after the individual’s Service approves the TA. A T.A. waiver must be provided to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office when or before payment is due for the respective course(s) for the service member to maintain enrollment in their course(s) without alternate payment.

State Grants

Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP)

MAP is a need-based grant program administered by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) and is available for Illinois residents who qualify.

MAP grants pay a portion of tuition and mandatory fees.  You should apply early as funding is limited.

  • Funding does not apply to the summer semester.
  • Overall maximum of 135 MAP paid credit hours.

Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid

The 2024-2025 Alternative Application for state aid only is available. It is for qualifying undocumented students who are not eligible for federal financial aid.


This application for Illinois Financial Aid is not currently compatible with mobile devices.

Illinois National Guard Program (ING)

Enlisted persons and company-grade Illinois National Guard officers can receive tuition and eligible fee coverage at Illinois public universities and public community colleges.

  • Students must be on active duty status and have served at least one year in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Funding is available for a period equivalent to eight (8) semesters of full-time enrollment and can be applied to noncredit courses.
  • This grant can be used for either undergraduate or graduate study.
  • There is no minimum enrollment requirement.
  • Each year, the student must apply for this grant online through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC).
  • The grant is measured in eligibility units. A student will receive 120 eligibility units to be used over the course of their education while they are enlisted in the Illinois National Guard. Students who complete 10 years or more of active duty may receive up to 180 units.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Illinois Veterans Grant Program (IVG)

This Illinois grant is available to qualified veterans who entered active duty from the State of Illinois and returned to Illinois within six (6) months of receiving an honorable discharge.

  • Veterans must have served at least one year of active duty.
  • Funding applies to tuition and some limited fees.
  • Students may receive IVG funds for up to five (5) years of full-time attendance.
  • Students must submit a complete DD 214 form for the determination of eligibility.
  • Students may mail the application and DD214 Member 4 copy. The application can be found through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) or apply online at ISAC Student Portal.
  • The grant can be used at Illinois public colleges and universities.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  • This grant can be used for credit and non-credit classes.

Applications are available in Financial Aid & Scholarships, Building B, Room B156.

Additional Grants

Pipeline for the Advancement of the Healthcare Workforce (PATH) Program

The PATH program provides extra wrap-around support services for students pursuing industry-recognized credentials for in-demand careers in health care. Through this program, eligible students can receive assistance with tuition, textbooks, materials, child care, and reimbursement for travel expenses.

Health Professions Path Program

Recovery Support Specialist Program

For students in the Recovery Support Specialist program, tuition, fees, books, and other wraparound services, including childcare and transportation, may be covered by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) Division of Mental Health.

Recovery Support Specialist

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

Elgin Community College is partnering with the Kane County Office of Community Reinvestment to offer job skills training services through WIOA. Free career training is available for qualified adults in more than 35 programs in fields.

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).