Skip to content

Required Documentation

You can upload documentation on your disability to the Student Disabilities Services Registration Form, or you may bring hard copies of the documentation to your intake appointment. The information you provide will be kept confidential and private under ADA law and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Read more information on FERPA.

The type of documentation may include, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Documentation that you had an Individualized Education Program (IEP).
  • Documentation that you received services or accommodations provided to you under a Section 504 Plan provided to the individual pursuant to Section 504.
  • Documentation of a plan or record of service for you from a private school, a local educational agency (LEA), a State educational agency, or an institution of higher education provided under a Section 504 plan.
  • A record or evaluation from a relevant licensed professional finding that you have a disability. The most recent psychological testing results and reports may include IQ testing, achievement testing, etc.
  • A plan or record of disability from another institution of higher education.
  • Documentation of a disability due to military service in the uniformed services.
  • If it is a medical disability, a doctor’s letter or report should include:
    • your diagnosis
    • level of severity of your diagnosis
    • date of your diagnosis
    • functional limitations associated with your diagnosis
    • recommendations for accommodations/supports/assistive devices
    • medications that you are taking and any side effects
    • treatment/therapeutic interventions/previous hospitalizations
    • expected duration of your condition (chronic, episodic, short-term)
    • frequency of symptoms per week/month/day
  • The documentation must be signed by a professional who is qualified to make the appropriate diagnosis. The documentation must be on the professional’s official letterhead.

In summary, the documentation should include the following:

  • Your exact diagnosis, and
  • Detailed information on how your disability affects you.

ADA/Section 504 Compliance

Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. ECC can provide reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office to request reasonable accommodations.

Report an Accessibility Barrier

Report a physical barrier to access, a general incident, or discrimination because of your disability.

File a Report


Student Access and Disability Services

Building B, Room B105/B125
Fax: 847-608-5479

Contact Us

Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 5 pm
Friday: Closed