Skip to content

Temporary Visitor Driver’s License

What is a TVDL?

The Illinois Secretary of State’s Office issues a Temporary Visitor Driver’s License (TVDL) for non-citizens of the United States (U.S.) if they have been granted temporary, legal entry into the country and are legally residing in the U.S. Download the TVDL Checklist - PDF

To be eligible, a foreign national must be:

  • A non-citizen of the U.S.;
  • Lawfully admitted to the U.S.;
  • Temporarily residing in the state of Illinois;
  • Be authorized to live in the country for at least one year and have at least six months remaining on an authorized stay;
  • Be ineligible for a Social Security Number (if you have been issued an SSN, you can apply for a driver’s license); and
  • Be registered for classes.

What identification documents are required to apply? 

  • Current I-20
  • I-94
  • Unexpired passport.
  • A letter from ECC confirming your enrollment.
  • Two proofs of current address:
    • Students in the International Student Homestay Program can request a letter from the Homestay Coordinator indicating their current address.

Steps to Apply for a TVDL

  1. Obtain the required documentation.
  2. Prepare for your driver’s test. Do this by studying the “Illinois Rules of the Road” section of the “CyberDrive Illinois” website. If you would like to practice driving before your road test, you may choose to apply for an instruction permit.
  3. If you are 18-20, you must present proof of completing a six-hour adult driver education and training course.
  4. Schedule an appointment at one of the designated Secretary of State Facilities listed. 
  5. Have a licensed driver drive you to the Secretary of State Facility location.
  6. Pay the required fee.

You must take the Written, Vision, and Road Tests. You will need to supply your vehicle for the Road Test that is properly insured in Illinois. Road tests are only available until sunset or 30 minutes before closing, whichever is sooner. The TVDL is valid for three years or when you are authorized to stay in the country, whichever ends sooner. No renewals are allowed if there are less than six months left on your I-20. For further information, visit Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.