Career Assessment Package
Learn about yourself and connect to majors and careers
What is the Career Assessment Package (CAP)?
Take assessments to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and identify majors and careers that fit your unique personality, strengths, interests, and values.
- Take three online assessments.
- Personality Assessment
- The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) will help you design a career that fits your natural personality.
- Interest Inventory
- The Strong Interest Inventory® (SII) will match your interests to college majors and 130 different careers.
- Values Assessment
- The values assessment will help you determine what is most important to you to ensure you choose a career that fits.
Includes two career counseling sessions (one 2-hour and one 1-½-hour) to help you interpret your assessment results and explore careers that people with your interests and personality enjoy. If needed, you can continue to meet with your specialist until you feel confident that you have picked a major and career right for you.
Choosing a major and designing your future career is not easy. The CAP is a great way to assist you in this process. By working one-on-one with a Career Development Specialist, you will understand how your assessments can help you decide on a major and career that’s a good fit for you.
Get started today—how to take the CAP.
- Call the Student Accounts Department at 847-214-7380 and tell them you would like to pay for the CAP.
- They will ask you for your student ID number and credit card information. (Alternatively, visit Student Accounts in B151 to pay in person, cash, check, or credit card.)
- After payment, you will receive an email with links to take the assessments and more specific instructions on what to do next. (Please allow 1-2 business days for email.)
- If you are on campus, you may visit the Student Success Center in B120. If you are a community member without a student ID#, please call Career Development Services at 847-214-7390.
Cost of the CAP
- $20 for ECC students and alumni
- $20 for in-district high school juniors and seniors
- $120 for in-district community members
Cost includes the three assessments, two review sessions, and follow-up career counseling sessions as needed. The in-district rate for ECC represents Community College District 509. Click here to determine if you are considered in-district.
Learn more about the three assessments
You will gain a deeper understanding of yourself through the CAP process to help you define and achieve your goals. Understanding the role your personality, interests, values, and strengths play in your future career is the foundation for good career decision-making.
About 2 million people take the MBTI personality assessment tool annually. It helps give voice to who you are, so you can identify where you will naturally fit in the world of work and what careers and work environments will (and will not) match your unique personality.
The MBTI can help you answer the following:
- Who am I, and why do I want to work?
- What type of tasks would I perform most naturally?
- Where am I most happy?
- What are my most natural strengths and challenges?
With 80 years of research, the Strong Interest Inventory career assessment will help you dive into your interests to identify majors and careers that match you. It compares you to people with similar interests and motivations to see where they are employed, providing rankings for 130 different occupations. It uses Holland Occupational Themes to help match you to your ideal work environment.
The Strong Interest Inventory can help you:
- Discover what you want to do and where you want to do it.
- Choose a major or career that is aligned with your interests.
- Increase your chances of job satisfaction.
- Choose appropriate education and training.
If your values align with your job, career, and co-workers, there is a strong likelihood that you will be more satisfied. This Values Assessment will allow you to see what values are most important to choose a future career that will fulfill your desires.
The Values Assessment can help you:
- Determine what is most important to you to find careers that align.
- Discover what values rank highest when compared to one another.
- Use your values to determine what you should pay attention to in your personal and professional life.