Skip to content

District 509

Community College District 509 is one of 39 community college districts in the Illinois Community College System.

District 509 Map

Communities We Serve

District 509 covers approximately 360 square miles and incorporates the following rural and urban municipalities.

District 509 Municipalities
Algonquin* Hampshire St. Charles
Bartlett Hanover Park* Streamwood
Burlington Lake in the Hills* Wasco
Campton Hills* Lily Lake Wayne
Carpentersville* Pingree Grove West Dundee
East Dundee Plato Center  
Elgin Sleepy Hollow  
Gilberts South Elgin  
Portions of these communities are not in District 509.
Some people with addresses in Barrington Hills, Carol Stream, Cary, Elburn, Fox River Grove, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, LaFox, Maple Park, Schaumburg, Sycamore, Virgil, and West Chicago are also district residents.

Anyone who is a resident of public school districts U-46, 300, 301, or 303 is a resident of District 509.

District 509 Public Schools
Bartlett High School Larkin High School, Elgin
Central High School, Burlington South Elgin High School
Dundee-Crown High School, Carpentersville St. Charles East High School
Elgin High School St. Charles North High School
Hampshire High School Streamwood High School
Jacobs High School, Algonquin
District 509 Private Schools
Elgin Academy, Elgin St. Edward High School, Elgin
Fox Valley Lutheran Academy, Elgin Westminster Christian, Elgin

District 509 Residency

Tuition rates are based on the student residency procedure 4.102.

In-District Resident

  1. The following provisions apply to both state and district residency definitions:
    • A student shall have occupied a dwelling within the district for at least 30 days immediately prior to the date established by the district for classes to begin. View District 509 map.
    • Students occupying a dwelling in the district who fail to meet the 30-day residency requirement may not become residents simply by attending classes at a community college for 30 days or more.
    • Students who move from outside the district and obtain residency for reasons other than attending the community college shall be exempt from the 30-day requirement if they demonstrate (through documentation) a verifiable interest in establishing permanent residency.
  2. Individuals who reside outside District 509 will be considered in-district students for courses offered by ECC if employed for at least 35 hours per week in the district.
  3. Students who are military personnel stationed and present in the district in connection with their military service.
  4. Students enrolled through a joint agreement program with ECC and another college.

Out-of-District Resident

Any person whose permanent residence lies outside District 509 but within the state of Illinois. View tuition rates.

Out-of-State & International Resident

Any person whose residence lies outside the boundaries of the state of Illinois, including all international students enrolling under an F-1 student visa. For more detail, please refer to College Catalog. 

Verification of In-District Residency

You must establish the residency at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester. Acceptable documentation of residency may be emailed to and includes:

  1. A driver's license or state-issued identification card or U.S. or international government-issued identification card, with an in-district address dated at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester or;
  2. Provide at least two of the following: signed lease, utility bill, or tax bill in the student's name, or voter's registration card;
  3. Students who qualify as an in-district resident by working 35 hours or more a week must provide documentation of hours worked per week on employer letterhead, in the form of a recent pay stub, or on forms available in the Registration Department or;
  4. Students utilizing benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any subsequent variation of that Act (per Public Act 098-0306) must provide a DD214 form or an eligibility letter.
  5. Students who qualify must provide the required documentation per that agreement.

Estimate Your Residency

District 509 Map

Use the district 509 map to get general information about where your address resides and see if you're an in-district or out-of-district resident.

District 509 Map