Types of Testing
ECC’s Testing Center is available to assist you with placement tests, make-up tests, pre-enrollment assessment tests, certification exams, and more.
If you’re an incoming ECC student, you may have to take placement tests in subjects like English and math to assess your skill levels and place you in the appropriate classes. The Testing Center offers workshops and practice tests to help you prepare for your placement exams.
Get more information about placement tests.
ECC offers several exams to prepare you for careers in healthcare. For example:
- CNA - Certified nurse aide competency testing is required to become a Certified Nurse Assistant. ECC administers the test once a month for nursing students and others.
- Download certified nurse aide competency testing dates
- See for details about the program.
- PSB - The health occupations aptitude examination is required for all students applying to a health professions program at ECC. We offer a series of workshops to help you prepare for the test. The exam is offered only at specific times and requires prior registration.
ECC offers certification and assessment testing in certain career and technical areas. These tests are given by appointment only and additional fees apply.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) - Visit asestudentcertification.com for more information.
ASE Student Certification is the first step in building a career as a service professional in the automotive industry. Marking the completion of career-entry studies in automotive technology, collision repair and refinishing, or medium/heavy-duty trucks, these tests can provide the student with their first industry certification through the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. ECC tests students once a year.
- HVACR (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration) - certification testing, including EPA 608 and residential exams testing, is available to students in ECC’s HVACR courses. A fee is required for the EPA 608 exam. For details, contact George Rosa at 847-214-7871 or go to Building O, Room O153.
- Register for the exam
- Register for the exam
- WorkKeys - a job-skills assessment system, measures your foundational and soft skills. ECC offers WorkKeys tests in nine subjects.
- Castle provides certification and licensure of various health professions. ECC tests Castle applicants every Wednesday. Visit castleworldwide.com for more information.
- IAODAPCA (Illinois Alcohol and other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association) - is a private, non-profit organization that promotes standards for professionals in the addictions field. IAODAPCA applicants are tested every Tuesday. Visit iaodapca.org for more information.
Tests that Help You Earn College Credit
In some cases, ECC awards college credit for what you already know. For example:
- AP Exams - Advanced Placement tests are national, subject-specific tests taken at your high school after completing an Advanced Placement (AP) course. They may be used to fulfill ECC course requirements in a variety of areas. View our for details.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - allows you to demonstrate prior knowledge and earn credit in specific disciplines. A series of computerized tests in 33 different subjects, CLEP exams are offered at the ECC Testing Center by appointment during regular hours.
- Proficiency Credit - ECC’s Proficiency Credit is a demonstration of knowledge and skills obtained in a method other than formal instruction provided by the college. Contact the instructor or an academic advisor about the process and related fee. Learn more about how to earn .
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) - The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme subject tests may be used to fulfill ECC course requirements in a variety of areas. Learn more
- Seal of Biliteracy - A State Seal of Biliteracy designated on a high school transcript may be used to earn proficiency credit in a language other than English. The State Seal of Biliteracy recognizes completion of two years of high school language coursework. Learn more
- GED® & High School Equivalency Completion Tests - ECC offers the GED® test and HiSET high school equivalency test for students to complete their high school diploma. More information is available at kaneroe.org. View for more information.
- Constitution Test - ECC also offers the Constitution test to help you complete your GED® test or High School Equivalency certificate.
- Download constitution review sheet