If you do not have access to complete testing remotely, we offer limited, appointment-only testing on-campus. Register for on-campus testing. The Testing Center is located at 1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin, IL 60123, Building B, Room 115.
Taking placement tests helps you enroll in the right courses at Elgin Community College. Each test is designed to measure your academic skill levels. This will help make sure you sign up for classes at the right academic level.
ECC is currently offering Writing, Reading, and Math placement tests remotely.
Placement Test Types
The testing center offers the following placement tests:
Remote testing is now available for Math, Geometry, Reading, and Writing placement.
Math and Geometry
Get more information about the math and geometry placement tests.
Reading and Writing Placement
Taking the Reading and Writing test remotely, will require you to have a PC, Mac, or Chromebook with a webcam, and download a software called LockDown Browser® and Responus Monitor®, or using HonorLock®, a Google Chrome extension.
If you do not have access to a device with the requirements listed above, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Reading and Writing Testing Form
Required fields are marked with an asterisk.*
All new degree-seeking students are required to demonstrate initial placement levels in English and Math upon entry to the College to register for their first semester.
Additionally, any student wishing to register for English and/or Math courses may need to demonstrate specific placement levels to satisfy a particular course prerequisite.
Review testing scores summary to determine if you need to take placement testing.
The Testing Center is currently offering placement testing remotely. If you are unable to complete testing remotely, we are offering limited, appointment-only testing. Schedule testing
Here’s what to bring on test day:
- Your ECC ID number
We offer a variety of workshops and practice tests to help you prepare for placement exams, and we encourage you to make the most of them. The more you practice, the better you’ll do! Practice tests are available to help you review the basic math, English, and reading concepts. Workshops are optional and non-credit.
Reading and math scores will be given to you after you take the placement test and are available online within 24-48 hours after you complete your test. Writing Placement test results may take up to 7 business days. All scores will be posted on the accessECC portal.
- Need help logging into accessECC portal? Get instructions
To interpret your scores, review testing scores summary.
If you’re not happy with your first attempt, you may retake the placement tests, provided you have not started a math, English, or reading course. You are encouraged to take our math assessment at least twice and spend time in the learning modules to help you brush-up on your skills. If you’re still not satisfied, you may appeal your placement. Review placement test appeal procedure for more information.
- Students do not need to complete all three placement tests on the same day. Each placement test may take longer than 2 hours. It is best to be rested before attempting another placement test to achieve the best score.
- All math placement, including SAT, ACT, PARC, GED tests, expires in two years. All Writing and Reading placement tests, including ACT, SAT, PARC, GED, expire in 5 years.
- Students may take the Reading and Writing placement test twice, provided they have not enrolled in a sequence of reading or English courses. Once enrolled in the reading or English courses, a student may not take the Writing or Reading placement test a second time unless they file an appeal.
- The ALEKS math placement test is designed to be taken 5 times within a year. Once a student enrolls in a math course, the student may not take the math placement test again unless they file an appeal.