Histotechnicians use precise techniques to prepare body tissues for review by a pathologist who determines whether the tissue is normal or abnormal. The histotechnician may assist the pathologist in tissue grossing, cutting the initial tissue for analysis, or possibly assisting in an autopsy.
Because tissue must be handled properly from start to finish, attention to detail and strong fine motor skills are essential. Empathy for patient well-being and ability to manage high levels of autonomy are additional characteristics of successful histotechnicians. Do you have an interest in scientific procedures, health care, and helping people? If so, consider a career in histotechnology.
To enter the histotechnology program, choose one of two pathways:
- If you already have an associate degree (or higher), you can pursue the Vocational Specialist Certificate: Histotechnology, which will allow you to complete the program in two semesters.
- Associate of Applied Science in Histotechnology (four semesters)
After graduating and passing the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) exam, you’ll become nationally certified to work in laboratories across the U.S. This career path can lead to a promotion as a pathology assistant, a job in medical sales, or even a position in healthcare education.
This program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
The histotechnology program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, 773-714-8880. Visit the NAACLS website
Prepare for Immediate Employment
Associate of Applied Science
Planning to Transfer
- Associate in Arts (AA)
- Associate in Engineering Science (AES)
- Associate in Fine Arts – Art (AFA)
- Associate in Fine Arts – Music (AFA)
- Associate in Liberal Studies (ALS)
- Associate in Science (AS)
Learn more about earning a Bachelor’s degree, earning summer credits for transfer or dual admissions with a university by visiting University Transfer & Partnerships.