Start your career as an apprentice.
Some questions to ask yourself about getting work experience as an apprentice:
- Do apprentices get paid? Apprentices learn while earning! Begin building your future with a paid, structured, on-the-job training program while completing your certificate or degree at ECC.
- What does it mean to be an apprentice? Apprenticeships are considered as work experience and go on your resume. It helps you start working in a high-demand field with incremental wage increases as your skills increase. Plus, you'll take advantage of working with highly skilled mentors to join the workforce with experience.
- How does an apprenticeship work? Depending on your program, you can be in an apprenticeship program while you're in school. Upon completion, you will earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree or a Basic Vocational Specialist (BVS) certificate and certification from the US Department of Labor.
- Why should I start as an apprentice? When you combine classroom training and customized on-the-job learning, you'll connect theoretical concepts with the workplace's best practices. Plus, you'll earn valuable work experience for your resume.
- How do I get into an apprenticeship? If you're a current student, submit an Apprenticeship Interest Form. If you aren't a student at ECC yet, please apply using this free application on the ECC Website.
- Where can I find apprenticeships? ECC offers career fairs and community expos throughout the year. We also provide a few programs through the Industry Consortium for Advanced Technical Training (ICATT) and our own Future Workforce Leaders program.
- When should I apply for an apprenticeship? You can apply for it at any time. Depending on the program, you can be sponsored by an employer who pays your school tuition so you can graduate with no college debt. Download the Company Sponsorship Agreement form to get started.
Early application for the next year's cohort is essential.
- Industrial Maintenance Technology apprenticeship program, in partnership with ICATT.
- Basic Nurse Assistant (BNA).
- CNC Machining professional.
- Fire Fighter / Paramedic
- Culinary (spring 2021)
- Software Developer (fall 2021)
Students: Get started
- If you're a current student, submit an Apprenticeship Interest Form. If you aren't a student at ECC yet, please apply using this free application. After you've applied, come back and submit the Application Interest Form.
- Interview with companies that have partnered with ECC to offer an apprenticeship.
Employers: Grow your workforce with an apprenticeship program
Employers see a healthy ROI on their programs that are attractive to employees who want to work as an apprentice while in school. Plus, it can help you proactively address future workforce shortages. Work with Elgin Community College Strategic Partnerships & Experiential Learning team to get started.
- Why should you hire an apprentice? Help you grow your skilled/trained workforce by promoting existing workers or new hires resulting in well-trained employees who thrive in your environment, culture, and job.
- How do I find an apprentice to hire? ECC will help through a variety of career fairs and community expos throughout the year. Plus, we offer an online tool, HireSpartans, to post positions. We also partner with the Industry Consortium for Advanced Technical Training (ICATT) to promote your apprenticeship(s).
- What are the benefits of having an apprentice? Increase employee morale and loyalty. The National Apprenticeship Service states that 92 percent of companies with apprenticeship programs believe that it leads to higher motivation. Eighty percent report increases in employee retention.
- Why do companies offer apprenticeships? Organizations large and small use apprenticeships to promote diversity in the workplace. It also helps cut recruiting costs by reaching out to area students taking ECC classes to gain skills and certification.
- Why are apprenticeships good for business? Apprenticeships create additional opportunities for brand and company name recognition. Plus, by cutting recruiting costs and increasing loyalty, you'll retain employees.
- How do I get started? Submit an Employer Apprenticeship Interest Form.