Teams and Details
Elgin Community College
Paul Dawson, Managing Director of Construction Projects
Shales McNutt Construction
425 Renner Drive
Elgin, IL 60123
Two Pierce Place, Suite 1300
Itasca, IL 60143
Tel: 847-742-4063 ext. 125
Elgin Community College Center for Emergency Services
Made possible by the community’s vote to support the April 2009 bond referendum, the Elgin Community College Center for Emergency Services (previously referred to as the Public Safety Training Center) is located on a 120-acre property located at 815 East Plank Road in Burlington, Illinois. The facility offers essential resources to students and community members, most notably education for current and future first responders. Course offerings started in spring 2016 and more are being added in phases.
Grand Opening of the Elgin Community College
Center for Emergency Services
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
815 East Plank Road
Burlington, IL 60109
(3.5 miles west of Route 47)
Map & Directions»
Open House, 3 to 5:30 p.m.
- Tour the apparatus, classroom, and burn tower buildings.
- Meet faculty, staff, and students of the Criminal Justice, Fire Science, and Public Safety Communications programs.
Ceremony, 5:30 p.m.
- Join ECC President David Sam and members of the ECC Board of Trustees for a ceremony to recognize the efforts of the many people who have been instrumental to this project.
RSVP by Friday, September 9 to email@example.com or 847-214-7860.
Core to the facility is an academic building that includes classrooms dedicated to:
- Public safety communications.
- Emergency medical technician - basic.
- Fire science courses – all approved by the Office of the State Fire Marshall.
- Emergency Operations Center lab for police and firefighters.
- Driving simulation lab for police and firefighters.
- Flexible room designs and furnishings to meet multiple types of training and education.
The site also includes an apparatus building, with the following planned features:
- Design, layout, and equipment that simulates a professional fire house.
- Two equipment bays for training on fire and police equipment and on-site fire engine and ambulance storage.
- Functional ambulance for use as a mobile, tactical training environment.
- Digital forensics lab for ongoing law enforcement investigations.
- Fitness center designed for physical training needs unique to professionals in firefighting, law enforcement, and emergency services.
A three-story burn tower includes:
- Moveable walls to allow live firefighting simulation.
Additional features at the location include:
- A 139,400 square -foot driving pad which includes a 28,200 square-foot skid pad that allows students in law enforcement and emergency services to develop their driving skills.
- A pond dedicated to law enforcement search-and-rescue training.
- A drafting pond that will provide water for firefighter training.