Transfer Credit Evaluation

Get credit for the work you’ve already done.

Transferring to ECC from another college? We’re committed to giving you credit for as much of your prior coursework as possible. Here’s what you need to do. 

  1. Make sure we have your correct program of study on file. You can update in Registration Office.
  2. Submit official transcripts from each institution you’ve attended to Admissions Office.
  3. Download and complete request for evaluation of prior educational experience form.
  4. Create an educational plan with the help of your ECC advisor.
  5. If you’re transferring credit from an institution in another country, see Evaluation of College Credit Earned Outside the U.S.

Credit for College-Level Coursework

ECC accepts credit earned at other accredited institutions, including proficiency credit, if:

  • The course applies to your ECC degree or certificate
  • The course appears on your official transcript from your previous institution
  • Your transcript indicates that you passed the course 

Credit for Learning Experiences

You may be able to earn proficiency credit at ECC for specific skills or learning experiences that are comparable to what you would learn in class. Methods may include but are not limited to:

  • The College Board Advanced Placement (AP)
  • CLEP Testing
  • International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB)
  • Proficiency credit, which may include oral exam, written exam, portfolio review, or demonstrated skills obtained through work or other experiences 

If you’re intending to transfer to another institution, you should consult with that institution regarding transfer credit policies.

For more details, see Student Credit for Learning Experiences other than Formal Instruction 

Transfer Credit and Your GPA

If you’re earning an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Fine Arts (AFA), Associate in Engineering Science (AES), or an Associate in Liberal Studies (ALS) degree, your cumulative grade point average is determined using all grades received from all courses numbered 100 and above taken at ECC and all grades A-D accepted from other colleges and universities. 

If you’re earning the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree or a vocational certificate, only grades for courses that apply to the AAS degree or certificate count toward your grade point average at the time of graduation.