Student Rights & Responsibilities
Students with disabilities who are registered with Student Disabilities Services have the following rights:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, and activities offered through ECC.
- Equal opportunity to learn and to receive reasonable accommodations and academic adjustments in an effort to diminish the effect of the condition on academic functioning.
- The same rights and privileges available to other students at ECC.
The right to pursue a grievance using ECC’s disability grievance procedure, available here: ECC Grievance Procedure
Students with disabilities who are registered with Student Disabilities Services have the following responsibilities:
The same rights and privileges available to other students at ECC.The right to pursue a grievance using ECC’s disability grievance procedure, available here: ECC Grievance Procedure
- Students must provide requested documentation (from an appropriate professional) or otherwise demonstrate how the disability or condition limits their participation in courses, programs, services, and activities.
- Students must meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs, and activities.
- Students must request accommodations every semester in which accommodations are needed by contacting the Student Disabilities Services office.
- Students must request accommodations in a timely manner (i.e., prior to when an accommodation is needed) and must participate in the process for utilizing accommodations if accommodations are needed. Students who do not request accommodations or participate in the process to utilize accommodations may not be entitled to use accommodations.
- Students may choose not to use an approved accommodation at any time. If a student chooses not to use an approved accommodation, ECC and Student Disabilities Services are not obligated to provide accommodations to the student or ensure the provision of the accommodations to the student.
- Students may choose to request, obtain, or implement an approved accommodation at any time during the semester.
- Students must contact the Student Disabilities Services office regarding any concerns or issues related to the use or provision of approved accommodations at ECC.
- Students are responsible for reading and following ECC procedures pertaining to the provision of disability services.
- All ECC students are expected to comply with the Student Code of Conduct/Discipline Procedure and other policies and procedures applicable to students.
- ECC does not provide accommodations retroactively.
Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. Reasonable accommodations can be provided to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Disabilities Services office to request reasonable accommodations.