PSB Admission Testing Instructions
All students applying to a Health Professions program at Elgin Community College are required to take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination (PSB-HOA or HOAE). This test assesses you for the capabilities needed for success in a health care field.
You will be allowed two attempts at this test. Therefore it, is important to prepare carefully.
- The Psychological Services Bureau (PSB) offers sample questions and test-taking tips in its test resources section.
- Students may also purchase PSB Health Occupations Exam Practice Questions (ISBN 978-1-62733-217-0) by Mometrix Media available in the Bookstore.
- PSB-HOA exam prep workshops are available.
- Other helpful web sites include:
- To prepare for the spelling portion of the text, visit:
Providing these resources doesn’t imply endorsement by ECC.
The PSB-HOA exam consists of 5 parts:
- Academic Aptitude – verbal (25), arithmetic (25), and nonverbal (25) sections (40 minutes for 75 questions).
- Spelling (15 minutes for 45 questions).
- Reading Comprehension (35 minutes for 35 questions).
- Natural Sciences (25 minutes for 60 questions).
- Vocational Aptitude (15 minutes for 90 questions).
Exam Registration & Fees
Testing space is limited, and it is highly recommended that you reserve your test date before the application deadlines.
- Consult the test dates below and choose your preferred day and time.
- You must have an ECC student ID number and a valid email address on file before starting the registration process.
- You must register for the PSB-HOA test in person:
Only students on the roster for the scheduled test date will be allowed to test. Students who have not paid or registered for the exam ahead of time will not be allowed to test.
- The PSB-HOA exam fee is $20. Pay with a personal check, certified check, money order, or credit card.
- There are no refunds if you cancel your registration for the PSB-HOA or fail to arrive for the exam.
On Your Exam Day
If you do not show up on your scheduled test date, you will be considered a no-show. The testing fee will not be refunded, and this will count as one of your test attempts.
- The sign in process for the PSB-HOA exam starts approximately 30 minutes before the stated test time.
- You must bring a valid photo ID and your receipt of payment.
- No learning aids or assistance may be used during the test.
- This is a 2.5 hour exam; breaks may be taken between test sections if needed.
- Please do not bring any children.
Your Exam Results
You will be given your results shortly after completing the exam. The results will also be made available to the appropriate Health Professions program director.
- If you would like to improve your scores on one or more sections of the PSB-HOA exam, you may take the test a second time. You must wait a minimum of 30 days between testing attempts.
- The fee for the second test is $20 regardless of whether re-taking the entire test or just one section.
PSB-HOA scores are valid for a period of two years, after which time you may re-test again. It is suggested that you complete all program prerequisite courses before taking the PSB-HOA exam.
How Exam Results Are Used
To be considered for admission to Clinical Lab Technology, Histotechnology, Massage Therapy, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiography, Surgical Technology, you must score in the 25 percentile or better in each section of the PSB-HOA exam. Admission to these Health Professions programs is competitive.
To be considered for admission to Phlebotomy, Basic Nurse Assistant, or Dental Assisting, students must score in the 12 percentile or better in each section of the PSB-HOA exam. Admission to these Health Professions programs is first-come, first-served.
For general questions about a Health Professions program, please contact the Health Professions Office at 847-214-7350.
Dates, time and rooms are subject to change.
|July 16||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-206||Building B, Room B115|
|July 25||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-207||Building B, Room B115|
|July 30||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-208||Building B, Room B115|
|August 1||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-209||Building B, Room B115|
|August 6||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-210||Building B, Room B115|
|August 9||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-211||Building B, Room B115|
|August 13||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-212||Building B, Room B115|
|August 20||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-301||Building B, Room B115|
|August 27||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-302||Building B, Room B115|
|October 8||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-303||Building B, Room B115|
|October 22||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-304||Building B, Room B115|
|November 5||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-305||Building B, Room B115|
|November 15||Friday||1 p.m.||CPC 580-306||Building B, Room B115|
|November 19||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-307||Building B, Room B115|
|November 22||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-308||Building B, Room B115|
|December 13||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-309||Building B, Room B115|
|December 17||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-310||Building B, Room B115|
|December 20||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-311||Building B, Room B115|
|January 3||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-101||Building B, Room B115|
|January 7||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-102||Building B, Room B115|
|January 10||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-103||Building B, Room B115|
|January 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-104||Building B, Room B115|
|January 24||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-105||Building B, Room B115|
|February 11||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-106||Building B, Room B115|
|February 3||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-107||Building B, Room B115|
|March 3||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-108||Building B, Room B115|
|March 10||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-109||Building B, Room B115|
|April 7||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-110||Building B, Room B115|
|April 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-111||Building B, Room B115|
|April 21||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-112||Building B, Room B115|
|April 28||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-113||Building B, Room B115|
|May 19||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-114||Building B, Room B115|
|May 28||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-115||Building B, Room B115|
|June 2||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-201||Building B, Room B115|
|June 11||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-202||Building B, Room B115|
|June 16||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-203||Building B, Room B115|
|June 23||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-204||Building B, Room B115|
|July 9||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-205||Building B, Room B115|
|July 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-206||Building B, Room B115|
|July 23||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-207||Building B, Room B115|
|July 28||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-208||Building B, Room B115|
|August 4||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-209||Building B, Room B115|
|August 6||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-210||Building B, Room B115|
|August 11||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-211||Building B, Room B115|
|August 13||Thusday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-212||Building B, Room B115|
|August 18||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-301||Building B, Room B115|
|August 25||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-302||Building B, Room B115|
|October 6||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-303||Building B, Room B115|
|October 20||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-304||Building B, Room B115|
|November 3||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-305||Building B, Room B115|
|November 13||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-306||Building B, Room B115|
|November 17||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-307||Building B, Room B115|
|November 20||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-308||Building B, Room B115|
|December 11||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-309||Building B, Room B115|
|December 15||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-310||Building B, Room B115|
|December 18||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-311||Building B, Room B115|