Modern Language Placement Test
Students who register for any language courses should consult the required language level. It would help if you determined which course is appropriate for them, given any previous high school, prior college coursework, or Heritage speaker status.
- Students who are unsure of their language skills are encouraged to complete the Modern Languages placement testing. The assessment determines the appropriate course for the student to enroll in. Placement scores will expire after two years.
- Students with no previous background in a Modern Language do not need placement testing and should enroll in the 101 level.
- Students who speak Chinese, French, German, Italian, or Spanish but have not had any or have had little formal education in the language should complete the Modern Language Placement assessment for course placement.
- Students who speak Spanish at home but have not had any, or little formal education in the Spanish language, should enroll in SPN 251 – Spanish for Spanish Speakers or complete the Modern Languages Placement exam.
- This placement assessment is for students interested in enrolling in a language course. ECC also offers language proficiency credit. Successful completion of proficiency awards academic credit to a student's ECC record. Students who are Heritage Speakers are encouraged to complete a Proficiency Request Form - PDF.
Modern Language Placement Tests Scores
|Below 270||Spanish 101|
|Above 427||Spanish 202|
|Above 600 + Heritage Speaker||Spanish 211, 251, 261|
|Above 600||Chinese 202|
|Below 260||French 101|
|Above 402||French 202|
|Below 292||German 101|
|Above 492||German 202|
|Above 600||Italian 202|