The college encourages students to discuss their intent to withdraw with their instructor(s). Process class withdrawals in person or by computer.
- Online at accessECC Portal. Need login help? View login instructions.
- In-person at the Registration & Records Office located in Building B, Room B105.
- Students may formally withdraw from a class during the periods of time designated below to receive a grade of W which carries no academic penalty and is not used in the calculation of the student’s GPA.
- Students who withdraw from a class may register for that class again but cannot take a proficiency test for it until two years after the date the class terminated.
- A student who withdraws from a class early in a semester may be eligible for a refund. View refunds for credit and non-credit courses procedure for more details.
- Students may not withdraw themselves from a class after the designated withdrawal deadlines.
Drop Dates By Semester
Other Reasons for Withdrawal
Faculty Initiated Withdrawal
Instructors reserve the right to withdraw a student from class during the withdrawal period due to excessive, unexcused absence. Further, they reserve the right to withdraw students from their classes with a failing grade at any point in the semester due to, cheating or other gross infractions. Formal charges may be filed in accordance with ECC’s procedure.
Withdrawal for Nonpayment
The college reserves the right to cancel a student’s enrollment for nonpayment of tuition and fees.
Students who are not able to participate in their classes for an extended period of time after the withdrawal deadline (if it is before the withdraw deadline, students are expected to withdraw from any course[s] on their own) due to extenuating circumstances such as a medical or family emergency, are encouraged to contact the Director of Student Success & Judicial Affairs. Under such conditions, students can submit appropriate documentation to be considered for an Administrative Withdrawal. These students may receive a grade of AW (Administrative Withdrawal) which carries no academic penalty and is not used in the calculation of the student’s grade point average. Administrative Withdraw is considered for ALL courses in a given semester and is not usually granted for select courses. For more information, see Administrative Procedure 1.202, or visit the Dean of Student Services & Development office, B105, to speak with the Director of Student Success & Judicial Affairs.
Withdrawal Policy for Students Called to Active Duty
Students who are called to serve in active military duty while enrolled in classes at ECC will be provided services to assist with class withdrawal, final grade, and financial aid concerns. For more information, see Administrative Procedure 4.501, or visit the Dean of Student Services & Development office, B105.