Associate in Science Pathway for Pre-Pharmacy
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AS degree within two years, then transfer and prepare for admittance to Pharmacy school. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites
Fall Semester 1 (17 Semester Hours)
- *BIO 113, Molecular & Cellular Biology (4)
- *CHM 142, General Chemistry I (5)
- *1MTH 190, Calculus w/Analytical Geometry I (5
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
Spring Semester 2 2(19 Semester Hours)
- BIO 114, Organismal Bio, Evolution, Ecology (4)
- CHM 143, General Chemistry II (5)
- MTH 120, Statistics (4)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- Fine Arts Gen Ed (3)
Fall Semester 3 (15 Semester Hours)
- CHM 234, Organic Chemistry I (5)
- BIO 245, Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
- Behavioral Science Gen Ed (3)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
Spring Semester 4 (15 Semester Hours)
- CHM 235, Organic Chemistry II (5)
- BIO 246, Human Anatomy & Physiology II (40)
- Social Science Gen Ed (3)
- Humanities Gen Ed (3)
Additional pre-Pharmacy required courses that can be completed at ECC include PHY 101 General Physics and BIO 265 Microbiology.
Certain Pharmacy programs allow entrance prior to completion of a BA/BS degree, plan to meet with your academic advisor to discuss.
1Students planning to start in the Fall semester who do not qualify to enroll in MTH 190 should plan to enroll in the necessary math course the summer prior.
2Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC and many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science, and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Science & Associate in Engineering Science degrees do not include the entire IAI General Education Common Core (GECC) package. The AS & AES degrees allow for more math & science courses to be completed prior to transferring and better align with transfer institution 4-year plans.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Pharmacy?
What specific majors are related to Pharmacy?
- Agriculture & Food Science
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Physical Therapy
- Public Health
- Wildlife Biology
What careers are similar, or related to, Pharmacy?
Transfer students wanting a B.S., M.S., and/or Ph.D./M.D. would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, discuss with your academic advisor.
Helpful Resource- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
Students interested in Pharmacy and related healthcare careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue:
- Clinical Lab Technology AAS- Certificate
- Dental Assisting - Certificate
- Emergency Medical Technician & Paramedic - Certificate
- Health & Wellness Management AAS - Certificate
- Histotechnology AAS- Certificate
- Massage Therapy - Certificate
- Medical Imaging - Radiography AAS & Advanced Certificates
- Nursing AAS - Certificates
- Physical Therapy Assistant - AAS
- Surgical Technology - Certificate
Information from Focus2 and BLS.gov