Associate in Science Pathway for Nursing
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AA degree within two years, then transfer and major in Nursing. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 (17 Semester Hours)
- BIO 110, Principles of Biology(4)*
- CHM 112, Elements of General Chemistry (5)*
- MTH 102, General Ed Statistics (3)*
- ENG 101, English Composition (3)
Spring Semester 2 (16-17 Semester Hours)
- BIO 245, Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- PSY 100, Introduction to Psychology (3)
- Fine Arts Gen Ed (3)
Fall Semester 3 (16 Semester Hours)
- BIO 246, Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- PSY 218, Human Growth & Development (4)
- Social Science Gen Ed (3)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
Spring Semester 4 (19 Semester Hours)
- BIO 265, Microbiology (4)
- HUM 216, Ethics (3)
- SOC 100, Principles of Sociology (3)
- Fine Arts/Humanities Gen Ed (3)
- Elective (3)- Recommended- HPE 112 Intro to Healthcare Vocabulary
Identify your transfer school early to plan for Nursing program entrance requirements including testing, GPA, and potential additional course requirements.
Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC and many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Arts is the proper program of study as most BSN programs require only one math/statistics course. The Associate in Science & Associate in Engineering Science degrees do not include the entire IAI General Education Common Core (GECC) package. The AS & AES degrees allow for more math & science courses to be completed prior to transferring and better align with transfer institution 4-year plans.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successfull Pathway Steps
Majoring in Nursing?
What specific majors are related to Nursing?
- Athletic Training
- Clinical Lab Technician
- Healthcare Administration
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Imaging/Radiography
- Pre-Physical Therapy/Assisting
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Surgical Technology
What careers are similar to Nursing?
Transfer students wanting a B.S.N., M.S.N., and/or D.N.P. would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Nursing and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue:
- Clinical Lab Technology AAS- Certificate
- Dental Assisting - Certificate
- Emergency Medical Technician & Paramedic - Certificate
- Health & Wellness Management AAS - Certificate
- Histotechnology AAS- Certificate
- Massage Therapy - Certificate
- Medical Imaging - Radiography AAS & Advanced Certificates
- Nursing AAS - Certificates
- Physical Therapy Assistant - AAS
- Surgical Technology - Certificate
Information from Focus2 and BLS.gov