Associate in Science Pathway for History
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AA degree within two years, then transfer and major in History. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (16+ Semester Hours)
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
- Math, Gen Ed (3-5)
- BIO 108, Biology for Contemporary Society(4) (recommended)
- 1HIS 151, History of the U.S. to 1870 (3)
- 2Elective (3-4)
Spring Semester 2 - (17 Semester Hours)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- 1HIS 152, History of the U.S. Since 1865 (3)
- Fine Arts, Gen Ed (3)
- Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
- Physical Science, Gen Ed (3-5)
Fall Semester 3 - (16+ Semester Hours)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- 1HIS 101, History of Western Civilization I (3)
- 2Elective- possible option- POS 150 American Government, National (3)
- 2Elective, (3-4)
Spring Semester 4 - (13 Semester Hours)
- EGR 252, Dynamics (3)
- MTH 250, Differential Equations (4)
- ECN 201, (recommended dependent on transfer school) (3)
- CIS 127, Discrete Structures (recommended dependent on transfer school) (3)
1Degree requirements vary by transfer institution, often schools will cap the number of History transfer courses students can apply to their degree requirements. Plan to discuss your transfer options early with your academic advisor.
2Possible electives include- Foreign Language, HIS 130/131 History of Latin America I & II, HIS 140 & 141 History of Asia & the Pacific I & II, and other HIS courses.
Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC & many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts or Associate in Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Arts is the preferred degree to complete at ECC as the Associate in Science has additional Science requirements that are not required for most History degrees.
- Transfer schools may require completion of up to the 4th level of language other than English, which is best to complete prior to transferring. Discuss requirements with your academic advisor.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successfull Pathway Steps
Majoring in History?
What specific majors are related to History?
- Environmental Studies
- History Education
- International Relations
- Language & Linguistics
- Paralegal Studies
- Political Science
What careers are similar to History?
Transfer for certain schools including NIU would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, though the Associate in Arts may align better for specific transfer schools. Plan to discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Elementary Education and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue: