Associate in Arts Education Plan for Business
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AA degree within two years, then transfer and major in Business. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements, as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (14 Credit Hours)
- ENG 101, English Composition (3)
- ENC 201, Principles of Microeconomics (3)*
- BIO 108, Biology for Contemporary Society(4) (recommended)
- *1MTH 126, Calculus for Business/Social Science (4)
Spring Semester 2 - (13-14 Credit Hours)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- ECN 202, Principles of Macroeconomics (3)
- 2MTH 120, Statistics I or 2BUS 140 Business Statics (4)
- Physical Science, (3 or 4)
Fall Semester 3 - (16 Credit Hours)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- ACC 200, Financial Accounting (4)
- PSY 100, Introduction to Psychology (3)
- 3BUS 112, Legal Environment of Business (3)
- Fine Arts, Gen Ed (3)
Spring Semester 4 - (19 Credit Hours)
- ACC 240, Managerial Accounting (4)
- HUM 216, Ethics (3) (recommended)
- 3CIS 110, Introduction to Computers (3) (or other elective - discuss with an academic advisor)
- Fine Arts/Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
- 3Elective, (3)
1Math requirements differ dependent on the transfer institution.
2Discuss the Statistics requirements with an academic advisor.
3Required electives vary dependent on transfer school requirements and may include- Foreign Language, Business, Marketing, Management, Math, or other courses.
Not included in the sample plan listed above-
- Many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science, and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view the details of Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Arts is the preferred degree to complete at ECC as the Associate in Science has additional Science requirements that are not required for most Business degrees.
- This plan is a sample guide. The only way to secure an accurate education plan for the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
- Transfer schools may require completion up to the 4th level of a language other than English. Discuss requirements with your academic advisor.
- Many transfer institutions have overall GPA requirements for admission and for specific business-related courses.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Business?
What are specific majors related to Business?
- Business Administration
- Business Analytics
- Hospitality Management
- Human Resources Management
- International Business
- Operations Management & Information Systems
- Supply Chain Management
What careers do Business graduates work in?
Transfer students wanting a BS/BA and MBA would likely pursue the Associate in Arts at ECC, discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Business wanting to begin their career upon completing a degree or certificate at ECC can pursue
- Accounting AAS - Certificate
- Business & Entrepreneur AAS - Certificate
- Communications Design, Graphic Design AAS - Certificate
- Restaurant Management AAS - Certificate
- Retail Management Certificate