Biology Majors - 4 Semester Plan
Associate in Science Pathway for Biology
This represents a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AS degree within two years, then transfer and major in Biology. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (17 Semester Hours)
- *BIO 113, Molecular & Cellular Biology (4)
- *CHM 142, General Chemistry I (5)
- *1MTH 190, Calculus w/Analytical Geometry I (5)*
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
Spring Semester 2 - (16-17 Semester Hours)
- BIO 114, Organismal Bio, Evolution, Ecology (4)
- CHM 143, General Chemistry II (5)
- 2MTH 210, Calculus w/Analytical Geometry II (5) or MTH 120 Statistics (4)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
Fall Semester 3 - (16 Semester Hours)
- 3CHM 234, Organic Chemistry I (5)
- PHY 101, General Physics or PHY 211 Engineering Physics I (5)
- Behavioral Science, Gen Ed (3)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
Spring Semester 4 - (19 Semester Hours)
- CHM 235, Organic Chemistry II (5)
- PHY 102, General Physics or PHY 212 Engineering Physics II (5)
- Fine Arts, Gen Ed (3)
- Social Science, Gen Ed (3)
- Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
1Students planning to start in the Fall semester who do not qualify to enroll in MTH 190 should plan to s enroll in the required math course the summer prior.
2Discuss Math requirements & proficiency options with your academic advisor.
3Visit Academic Advising in B120 to plan to address AS, AES, & AA & transfer degree requirements.
Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- Many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science, and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Science & Associate in Engineering Science degrees do not include the entire IAI General Education Common Core (GECC) package. The AS & AES degrees allow for more math & science courses to be completed before transferring and better align with transfer institution 4-year plans.
- This plan is a sample pathway; the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Biology?
What specific majors are related to Biology?
- Agriculture & Food Science
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Environmental Biology
- Genetics & Genome Science
- Physical Therapy
- Plant Pathology
- Wildlife Biology
What careers do Biology graduates work in?
Transfer students wanting a B.S., M.S., and/or Ph.D./M.D. would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Biology and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue:
- Clinical Lab Technology AAS- Certificate
- Dental Assisting - Certificate
- Emergency Medical Technician & Paramedic - Certificate
- Health & Wellness Management AAS - Certificate
- Histotechnology AAS - Certificate
- Massage Therapy - Certificate
- Medical Imaging - Radiography AAS & Advanced Certificates
- Nursing AAS - Certificates
- Physical Therapy Assistant - AAS
- Surgical Technology - Certificate
Information from Focus2 and BLS.gov