Elementary Education Majors
Associate in Science Pathway for Elementary Education
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AS degree within two years, then transfer and major in Elementary Education. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (13 Semester Hours)
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
- 1MTH 110, Math for Elementary Teaching I (3)
- BIO 108, Biology for Contemporary Society (4)
- HIS 151 or 152, History of the U.S. to 1870 or U.S. History Since 1865 (3)
Spring Semester 2 - (15 Semester Hours)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- 1 MTH 113, Math for Elementary Education II (3)
- PSY 100, Introduction to Psychology (3)
- POS 150, American Government, National (3)
- Fine Arts, Gen Ed (3)
Fall Semester 3 - (15 or 16 Semester Hours)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- PSY, Likely 212 or 218 dependent on transfer school (3)
- Physical Science, (3 or 4) APS 101
- Humanities, (3)
- Recommended Elective, (3)
Spring Semester 4 - (15 or 16 Semester Hours)
- ECN 101, 201, or 202, dependent on transfer school (3)
- GEO 116 or 216, (3)
- Science, (3 or 4)
- Fine Arts/Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
- Recommended Elective, (3)
1Math requirements for Elementary Education vary by institution, MTH 110 & 113 are requirements at many transfer destinations.
Degree requirements vary by institution and may include- EDN 100 Introduction to Education (3), EDN 204 Exceptional Individual (3), PEM 220 Phys Educ at Elem Level (3), LIT 225 Children's Literature, EDN 128 Music for the Elementary School Teacher (3).
- MTH 112 College Algebra will be required or students will need to test out of this requirement at their transfer school.
- ECC & many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- Basic Skills Requirement (TAP, ACT or SAT)- The Test of Academic Proficiency covers reading comprehension, language arts (grammar and writing), mathematics, and a constructed-response writing assignment. The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) allows certain ACT and SAT scores to be substituted for the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)/Basic Skills test required for licensure. Discuss options including superscoring with your advisor.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Elementary Education?
What specific majors are related to Elementary Education?
- Art Education
- Bilingual & Multicultural Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Psychology
- Instructional Technology
- Math Education
- Middle Level Education
- Music Education
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Education
- Reading Teacher Education
- School Psychology
- School Social Work
- Special Education
What careers are similar to Elementary Education?
Transfer for certain schools including NIU would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, though the Associate in Arts may align better for specific transfer schools. Plan to discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Elementary Education and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue: