Early Childhood Education Majors
Associate in Arts Pathway for Early Childhood Education
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the Associate in Arts degree within two years, then transfer and major in Early Childhood Education. See your ECC academic advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (16 Semester Hours)
- ENG 101, English Composition (3)
- ENC 201, Principles of Microeconomics (3)*
- BIO 108, Biology for Contemporary Society(4) (recommended)
- *1MTH 126, Calculus for Business/Social Science (4)
Spring Semester 2 - (15 Semester Hours)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- GEO 116, Human Geography (3)
- ¹HIS 152, History of the U.S. Since 1865 or HIS 151 History of the U.S. to 1870 (3)
- PSY 212, Child Psychology or ECE 174- Child Growth & Development
- MTH 113, Math for Elementary Students II (3)
Fall Semester 3 - (17 Semester Hours)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
- CHM/PHY, Gen Ed (5)
- POS 150, American Government- National (3)
- EDN 201, Intro to Cross-Cultural Education (3)
- ART 115, Art Appreciation (3)
Spring Semester 4 - (15 Semester Hours)
- ECN course (3)
- GLY 105, Environmental Geology (3)
- EDN 204, Exceptional Individual (3)
- LIT 225, Children’s Literature or Humanities Gen Ed (3), Fine Arts or Humanities- Human Diversity/Multicultural Gen Ed (3)
1Discuss program/degree requirements specific to your preferred transfer destination with your academic advisor as degree & major requirements vary among transfer institutions. It is highly recommended to complete any world language requirements prior to transfer.
Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC & many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts or Associate in Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Arts is the preferred degree to complete at ECC as the Associate in Science has additional Science requirements that are not required for most History degrees.
- Transfer schools may require completion of up to the 4th level of language other than English, which is best to complete prior to transferring. Discuss requirements with your academic advisor.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an in Building B, B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Early Childhood Education?
What specific majors are related to Early Childhood Education?
- Creative Writing
- Elementary Education
- English/Language Arts Teacher Education
- Human Development & Family Studies
- Human Services
- Language & Linguistics
What careers are similar, or related to, Early Childhood Education?
- Childcare Worker
- Elementary School Principal
- Instructional Coordinator
- Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher
- Paraprofessional/Teachers Assistant
Related Degrees & Certificates
Students interested in Early Childhood Education and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue: