Associate in Science Pathway for Chemistry
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the A.A. degree within two years, then transfer and major in Chemistry. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - 2(19 Semester Hours)
- *CHM 142, General Chemistry I (5)
- *MTH 190, Calculus I (5)
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
- Fine Arts, Gen Ed (3)
- Social Science, Gen Ed (3)
Spring Semester 2 - 2(19 Semester Hours)
- CHM 143, General Chemistry II (5)
- MTH 210, Calculus II (5)
- 1Life Science, Gen Ed (3)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- Behavioral Science, Gen Ed (3)
Fall Semester 3 - (18 Semester Hours)
- CHM 234, Organic Chemistry I (5)
- 1Math 230, Calculus III (5)
- 1PHY 211, Engineering Physics I (5)
- CMS 101, Fundamentals of Speech (3)
Spring Semester 4 - (17 Semester Hours)
- CHM 235, Organic Chemistry II (5)
- 1CHM 221, Quantitative Analysis (4)
- 1PHY 212, Engineering Physics II (5)
- Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
1Discuss program/degree requirements specific to your preferred transfer destination with your academic advisor as degree & major requirements vary among transfer institutions.
2Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC and many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Science & Associate in Engineering Science degrees do not include the entire IAI General Education Common Core (GECC) package. The A.S. & A.E.S. degrees allow for more math & science courses to be completed prior to transferring and better align with transfer institution 4-year plans.
- Both the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees at ECC can be planned to satisfy Bachelor of Science requirements at 4-year institutions.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Interested in Chemistry?
What specific majors are related to Chemistry?
- Allergy & Immunology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Nuclear Medicine
- Radiation Oncology
What are specific majors related to Chemistry?
Transfer students wanting a B.S., M.S., and/or Ph.D./M.D. would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Biology and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue:
- Clinical Lab Technology AAS - Certificate
- Health & Wellness Management AAS - Certificate
- Histotechnology AAS- Certificate
Information from Focus2 and BLS.gov