On-campus transfer visits.

Explore your transfer options.

ECC is the ideal place to start a bachelor’s degree, earn summer credits for transfer, or begin dual admission with a university. You can transfer seamlessly to virtually any four-year college or university!

Benefits of Two Years at ECC

When you complete an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree at ECC, or select a university in the Compact Agreement, you are guaranteed that at least 60 credit hours transfer and all of your freshman/sophomore general education requirements will be completed.

For institutions participating in the Illinois Articulation Agreement, completing the general education core at ECC means your freshman/ sophomore general education requirements have been completed and transfer as a package.

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) is a statewide transfer agreement, which is transferable among more than 100 participating colleges and universities in Illinois. IAI works best for students who know they are going to transfer but are undecided on the college or university that grants their baccalaureate degree.

General Education Courses and Package

All colleges and universities participating in IAI agree to accept a "package" of IAI general education courses in lieu of their own comparable lower-division general education requirements. Keep in mind, the IAI general education transfers as a package. Any course-to-course transfer credit is not guaranteed. You should work with your institutions to see exactly how your courses transfer beyond the IAI package.

View a description of the disciplines in the IAI general education package, also known as the GECC.

Want to see how your courses map to the general education package (GECC)? View the Course Worksheet.

Transfer Associates Degrees- AA, AS, AES, AFA

Institutions in Illinois grant two primary transferable Associates degrees (discuss Associates in Engineering Science (AES) and Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) options with your academic advisor). The Illinois Articulation Initiative general education package is part of both. The Associates in Arts degree, or AA, has a full general education package (GECC) fully incorporated. When you complete an AA degree and transfer, your general education requirements should be waived at the next 4-year IAI participating institution you choose to attend. The Associates in Science degree, or AS, is specifically designed for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, or STEM, areas of study. This degree has a modified general education package which allows students in these demanding fields the opportunity to remain on track with their cohorts at the 4-year institutions and complete a couple of general education courses after they transfer to their institution of choice. Under the AS degree model, students will take one additional math course and one science course, which will delay two GECC courses in the Humanities & Fine Arts and Social & Behavioral Sciences categories. The GECC package remains intact; however, a student will complete the package upon transfer to a university.


Student Success Center

Building B, Room B120
Fax: 847-214-7522

Office Hours
Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Summer Hours
Monday through Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Fridays: Closed


How It Works

For students interested in transferring to the College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Engineering Pathways program offers qualifying students guaranteed admission. Taking advantage of this opportunity helps save on tuition costs and benefit from Elgin Community College's smaller class sizes and highly personalized academic transfer planning.

Once admitted, ECC students follow a prescribed Engineering Pathways program of study, earning a 3.5 cumulative GPA and in technical coursework. Upon completion of the Associate in Engineering Science after their first 2 years at ECC, students then transfer to UIUC to complete their Engineering degree. Students successfully completing the Engineering Pathways plan of study at ECC are guaranteed transfer into The Grainger College of Engineering at UIUC.


Steps to Apply

  1. Apply to Elgin Community College as your Engineering Pathways partner school.
  2. Complete assessment testing
    • The math assessment (ALEKS) is mandatory and may not be waived.
    • Reading/writing assessments may be completed according to individual school policy.
  3. Submit The Grainger College of Engineering at UIUC Engineering Pathways application
    • Save your file as Pathways School_Last Name_First Name.
    • Send your official high school transcripts (see application).

Academic Advising and Transfer Services is located in Building B, Room B120, call 847-214-7390 to schedule your appointment.

Technical coursework includes chemistry, computer science, math, physics, and engineering.