The Transition Academy helps students increase their problem-solving abilities and communication skills, and develop strategies for academic success, college and career readiness.
Transition Academy participants receive the following services:
- Monthly Transition Academy Program that meets on Saturdays with curriculum focused on socio-emotional development and college and career readiness with embedded mentor support;
- Two-week summer program engages students in critical thinking skills via problem solving a real-world challenge from our corporate partners. Program includes cultural trip to Chicago.
- Monthly face-to-face small group mentoring sessions. Mentors foster students’ academic performance, self-confidence, and provide college/career advice.
The classes at the Transition Academy are team-taught by one K-12 teacher and an ECC faculty member. The program takes place on ECC’s main campus one Saturday each month from September through April, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates:
The Transition Academy serves students who are in grades 9-12. Students must attend Elgin, Larkin, Streamwood, or Dundee-Crown High Schools and be admitted to the TRiO Talent Search Transitions Program.
This program is targeted to low-income and first-generation college students; however, the program also benefits students whose academic performance is not on target to be college ready. To participate in Transition Academy, students must apply to the Talent Search Transitions program. Counselors and teachers are encouraged to recommend students.
To apply for the program, review the TRiO Talent Search Transitions steps to apply information. Forms must be printed and signed by the parent/guardian before submission to ECC.
Transition Academy Mentor Program
Volunteer mentors are needed to support and build a positive relationship with high school students for the 2019-2020 academic year. Mentors gather at ECC's main campus one Saturday a month for 90 minutes, from September through April to meet with students to provide advice, assistance and guidance to succeed in achieving individual goals, and prepare for college and careers. Meeting dates.
Onboarding details to become a Mentor:
- Complete an ECC background check.
- Complete all mentoring paperwork.
- Participate in a mentor orientation/training session before working with students.
- Orientation sessions are scheduled throughout the year, as needed.
- Commit to attending seven 90-minute sessions with mentees on ECC’s campus one Saturday a month, from September through April. Meeting dates.
Contact us to learn more information about the Transition Academy Mentor Program.