International Students FAQ

Elgin Community College:

  • Does not provide assistance or advice on filing such extension requests.
  • Recommends all nonimmigrants in B-1 or B-2 status changing to F-1 Visa work with a licensed U.S. immigration attorney due to the complexity of some change of status cases. Certain change of status applications from B-1/B-2 to F-1 Visa will not be considered or supported unless you agree to and show proof of working with a licensed U.S. immigration attorney.
  • Can recommend a licensed U.S. immigration attorney.

General FAQ

Academic FAQ

Temporary Visitor Driver’s License (TVDL)

The Illinois Secretary of State’s Office issues a temporary visitor driver’s license (TDVL) for non-citizens of the United States who have been granted temporary, legal entry into this country and are temporarily residing in the state of Illinois and who are ineligible for a social security number (SSN). Please note this information may change without notice. Visit for more details.