Emergency Services Degree and Certification
Working in emergency services is the epitome of a rewarding career. When you think “emergency services professionals,” you probably think of first responders, both on the front lines and behind the scenes. Your training can lead to a career as:
- The dispatcher who takes the 911 call and calms a panicked individual while waiting for first responders to arrive.
- The firefighter who braves the flames to save lives.
- The EMT and paramedic who provides medical care at the scene and during transport to the hospital.
- The fire investigator who determines the cause of the fire.
- The fire inspector who detects fire hazards and ensures that federal, state, and local fire codes are met to prevent fires from occurring in the first place.
No matter your role, all emergency services professionals are all indispensable heroes.
Conveniently located halfway between Chicago and Rockford, Elgin is the perfect place to start training for your career in Emergency Services. Our degree and certifications provide you with the fundamentals of several disciplines, including Fire Science and Safety (FSS), Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B), Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMT-P), and Public Safety Communications (PSC), also known as 911 operator training. You’ll gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities you need to be successful in your chosen field by working closely with instructors who are current emergency services practitioners.
Elgin’s Emergency Services training programs are also of enormous value if you already work in emergency services—like firefighters and EMTs—and seek to update your skills and continue your education. All training received within the emergency services training program is in compliance with local, state, and national certifying agencies, leading graduates toward job-ready certifications.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science and Safety degree prepares you to enter highly-specialized fields as skilled and knowledgeable fire science and safety technicians.
Careers in Fire Science and Safety
As an Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science and Safety degree holder, some jobs available to you include:
- Municipal Firefighter
- Fire Inspector
- Fire Investigator
- Forest Fire Inspector and Prevention Specialist
Learn more about these occupations in the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Emergency Services Certificates
In addition to the Associate of Applied Science, the Emergency Services Training department offers several basic certificates as well as a vocational certificate.
Careers in Emergency Services
A variety of career paths will be open to you upon completion of an Emergency Services certification. Some positions include:
- Emergency Medical Technician
- 911 Operator/Dispatcher
- Emergency Management Director
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teacher, Postsecondary
- First-Line Supervisor of Police and Detectives
- Sheriff and Deputy Sheriff
- Private Detective and Investigator
Planning to Transfer
Learn more about earning a Bachelor’s degree, earning summer credits for transfer or dual admissions with a university by visiting University Transfer & Partnerships.
Learn more about Emergency Services Training at ECC!
With an Emergency Services degree or certification from Elgin Community College, you can change—and save—lives.