State of Illinois High School Diploma (GED®/HiSET®)
If you are interested in Adult Basic Education classes, complete the inquiry form to start the process, and we will contact you with details. Questions? Call 847-214-6904 or email ABECRegistration@elgin.edu.
Elgin Community College is a community partner and offers preparatory classes for the Illinois High School Diploma Test, ESL classes, and transition services for community members. Many students also take advantage of ECC’s workforce development services.
ABE & ASE Class Offerings
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes: These classes provide instruction in reading, math, and writing and help students improve their basic skills to qualify for ASE (GED®/HiSET®) level classes. These classes are offered in English only. Classes are available Monday-Thursday in the mornings and evenings. Both in-person and online options are available.
- Adult Secondary Education (ASE) classes help students prepare for the State of Illinois High School Diploma test. These classes provide instruction in language arts, math, social studies, and science. They also help students to prepare for what the state Constitution requires. These classes are offered in English and Spanish.
- English class offerings are available Monday to Thursday mornings and evenings, in-person and online.
- Spanish class offerings are available during the summer on Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
ECC offers an online self-paced Ilinois High School diploma class for students who place into ASE-level classes. This course is offered in English only.
- Before you can get started with classes to prepare for the GED® and HiSET® exams, you'll take a pre-test that assesses your basic skills in reading and math.
- This pre-test helps to determine appropriate placement and success in classes.
- You will need to register for the pre-test.
- For information on registering for the pre-test, please go to the testing services/adult basic page.
All ABE/ASE classes are free of charge. Students attending ECC on certain types of visas are not permitted to enroll in the free adult education program. You cannot be currently enrolled in high school to qualify for ABE or ASE classes.
State of Illinois High School Diploma FAQ
Search frequently asked questions to find the answer for how you can earn a high school diploma. Search FAQ
Please fill out our inquiry form to receive more information about how to register for ABE/ASE classes.
Email ABECRegistration@elgin.edu or call 847-214-6904 for more information.
Approximately $760,285 (42%) of the Illinois Adult Education and Literacy Program cost at Elgin Community College is federally funded under Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014.