Intro to Healthcare Professions
ECC offers the training you need to prepare for a career in the healthcare industry. There is a high demand for nurses and other healthcare professionals to meet the increasing staffing needs of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, clinics, doctors’ offices, and assisted living facilities. Health care careers offer unbeatable opportunities, stability, and career rewards.
Our free Introduction to Health Care Professions course gives an overview of the health care degrees and certificates ECC offers as well as a variety of activities that will help you choose the healthcare profession that is best for you.
In this course you will:
- Explore health care professions through reading, instruction, film, and guest speakers.
- Take field trips to local health care facilities.
- Receive one-on-one academic and career assessments.
- Examine entrance requirements for ECC’s health care programs.
- Review academic skills needed for entrance to programs.
- Practice test-taking skills and strategies.
- Discuss employment skills.
- Participate in a mock job interview.
At the end of the course, you will meet with the transitions coordinator to discuss an academic and career plan.
The healthcare industry is projected to grow by 30 percent between 2010 and 2020, more than twice as fast as the general economy. Job growth expectations through 20221:
- 19 percent for healthcare practitioners and technical occupations.
- 20 percent for healthcare support occupations.
Sign-up for classes using our online form and we will contact you to complete the process.
Approximately $612,638 (36%) of the Illinois Adult Education and Literacy Program cost at Elgin Community College is federally funded under Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014.