Full-Time Police Officer Benefits Summary
Schedule of Full-Time Police Officer (MAP) Benefits
The summary provided here contains general guidelines and information. If you have questions on eligibility or applicability of a benefit or policy, please refer to the current MAP contract and benefits documents and forms on my.Elgin.edu and/or contact Human Resources-Benefits by calling 847-214-7988 or 847-214-7125.
The college offers two medical insurance plans: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois PPO and HMO Illinois. Both provide access to a cost-saving, mail-order prescription program and various discount programs. The college pays a portion of the premium for employee and dependent coverage.*
The college offers a dental plan through Delta Dental for employees and their families, with the option of selecting an HMO or PPO/Premier plan. The college pays a portion of the premium for employee and dependent coverage.*
Life and Long Term Disability Insurances
Group term employee life and accidental death and dismemberment policy at two times base annual salary or $100,000, whichever is greater, rounded up to the nearest thousand, is provided at no cost to the employee up to a maximum of $350,000. Eligible employees may apply for and, if approved, purchase Additional Employee Life, Spouse Life, Dependent Life, and Employee Long Term Disability Insurances.
Through the Blue Cross and Blue Shield medical plans, a no-cost vision discount program for exams, lenses, and frames is available. Additional coverage can be purchased through ECC’s voluntary vision provider, VSP.*
Flexible Spending Account
Eligible employees can set aside earnings on a pre-tax basis through payroll deduction to pay for qualified health expenses not covered by insurance and child/elder care expenses as prescribed by law.
The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) provides retirement, disability, death, and survivors’ benefits to eligible SURS participants and annuitants. ECC employees contribute a fixed percentage of gross earnings which is deposited into the employee's chosen retirement plan. In addition, employees contribute a fixed percentage of earnings to fund a retiree health insurance plan.
Employees may elect to participate in a 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity plan and/or a 457(b) deferred compensation plan. Both plans allow employees to save for retirement by setting aside earnings on a pre-tax basis.
Time Off with Pay
ECC believes employees should have generous opportunities to enjoy time away from work to help balance their lives. As such, full-time police officers** will earn:
- Sick: 12 days per year.
- Personal: Up to 4 days per year. For new officers, personal days are pro-rated based on the date of hire.
- Vacation (Officers hired before November 13, 2018):
- First year: 120 Hours
- Second year: 128 Hours
- Third year: 136 Hours
- Fourth year: 144 Hours
- Fifth year: 152 Hours
- Sixth year: 160 Hours
- Twentieth year: 200 Hours
- Vacation (Officers hired after November 13, 2018):
- First to the third year of continuous service: 80 hours.
- Fourth to the ninth year of continuous service: 120 hours.
- A tenth year or longer of continuous service: 160 hours.
- Holidays: Full-time police officers will also enjoy the following paid days off as well as days the college experiences unexpected closures (unless required to work):
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King’s Birthday
- President’s Day
- Spring Break (5 days per academic year)
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Winter Break (business days from December 26 through December 31)
Eligible employees may be reimbursed for pre-approved professional development activities and purchases up to $2,600 per fiscal year.**
Employees may be eligible to receive reimbursement of tuition for credit courses they, their spouse, or children age 25 or younger take at Elgin Community College, in which they earn a grade of "C" or better.**
- Confidential Employee Assistance Program available 24/7.
- Be sure to ask about discounts provided to ECC employees when frequenting local businesses.
- See our Work-Life Balance information for other wellness benefits that may be available.
Please see the benefit rate chart for details.
*Please refer to the MAP Contract - PDF for details.