About the Upward Bound Program
The Upward Bound Program at ECC is a federally funded college preparation program that helps eligible high school students to develop the knowledge, skills, and motivation necessary to succeed in their high school courses, enroll in college, and successfully graduate from college within six years of enrollment.
We provide personalized guidance and support, college preparatory curriculum, academic assistance, college tours, and SAT/ACT test preparation.
Who does Upward Bound serve?
The Upward Bound Program at ECC serves eligible high school students in grades 9 - 12 from Elgin, Dundee-Crown, Larkin, and Streamwood High Schools who want to enhance their college and career options.
To be eligible for Upward Bound, students must meet the following criteria:
- The student is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
- The student is a potential first-generation college student (meaning neither parent nor legal guardian graduated from a four-year college or university in the U.S.). OR
- The student lives in a ‘low-income household’ according to the Department of Education. If you’re unsure if you meet these eligibility criteria, please apply anyway and we will notify you.
Did you know? - Upward Bound Student Success Data
- One hundred percent of Upward Bound graduates enroll in post-secondary education.
- Students participating in Upward Bound programs are more than TWICE as likely to continue in college and FOUR times more likely to earn an undergraduate degree than non-Upward Bound students from similar backgrounds.
What does Upward Bound cost?
Nothing! Upward Bound covers the cost of program services including tutoring, field trips, and college courses. Additionally, students in Upward Bound are eligible for college application fee waivers and SAT/ACT fee waivers.
- Are you a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident?
- Are you the first in your family to potentially graduate from a four-year college or university in the U.S.?
- Do you have a financial need?
How to Apply
Students and parents can complete the Upward Bound Application below to begin the process of applying.