Minimum Competencies and Placement Testing 1.104

A Minimum Competency is a specific type of prerequisite that is mandated at ECC for all Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) general education transfer courses. Minimum competencies may also be used as prerequisites for other ECC courses.

All ECC IAI general education courses have required minimum competencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics that students must meet prior to enrolling into these courses. Some courses have multiple minimum competencies. Students must meet all minimum competencies and any additional prerequisites in order to register for a course.

Check to determine the minimum competency requirements for your program of study. Check for the appropriate placement score under "Testing Scores Summary."

Minimum competencies may be demonstrated by any of the following ways:

  1. Test Scores – ECC accepts ACT, SAT, PARCC, and high school equivalency scores to satisfy minimum competency requirements.
  2. Prior College Coursework – If you have taken college-level courses at another college/university, you may have satisfied minimum competency requirements. The math department may accept developmental coursework from another college. Please submit college transcripts to the ECC Admissions Office for review.
  3. Early College Credit – Visit for course credit awarded for AP, CLEP, and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams.
  4. ECC Placement Tests – If you have not taken the ACT, SAT, PARCC, or high school equivalency tests and achieved the appropriate scores, you must take ECC's placement tests in reading, writing, and/or math.
    1. Reading – Grade of "C" or better in RDG091 or LTC099.
    2. Writing – Grade of "C" or better in ENG098 or LTC099.
    3. Math – Grade of "C" or better in MTH098 or MTH099.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a general education "IAI" course?
    These are general education courses identified by the statewide Illinois Articulation Initiative as transferable toward four-year degree requirements at IAI member universities. Visit
  2. How do I find out if the class I'm interested in has minimum competency requirements?
    Talk to an ECC admissions representative, 847-214-7385, Building B, Room B110, or an ECC counselor, 847-214-7390, Building B, Room B120, on campus
  3. I need to take a placement test for the class I want. What's my next step?
    Students must complete an application for admission before testing. Apply
    Go to the testing center Building B, Room B115. No appointments necessary January through May and September through December. From June through August, call ahead. More
  4. What if I've met my minimum competency requirements at another college?
    Send copies of your transcripts to: 
    ECC Admission Office 
    Attn: Transcripts 
    1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin, IL 60123-7193 
    Or bring them to Building B, Room B110, on campus. Upon verifying you have met the minimum competency, we will update your student record so you can register.