Minimum Competencies and Placement Testing 1.104
A Minimum Competency is a specific type of prerequisite used to determine college readiness that is mandated at ECC for all Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) general education transfer courses. Minimum competencies may also be used as prerequisites for other ECC courses.
All ECC IAI general education courses have required minimum competencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics that students must meet prior to enrolling in these courses. Some courses have multiple minimum competencies. Students must meet all minimum competencies and any additional prerequisites in order to register for a course.
Minimum competencies may be demonstrated by any of the following ways:
- Test Scores – ECC accepts ACT, SAT, or HiSet, or GED as high school equivalency scores to satisfy minimum competency requirements.
- High School Transition Coursework – If you have successfully completed a high school transition math or English course with a C or better you will be placed according to the Transition Course completed. Please submit official 8th-semester high school transcripts to the ECC Admissions Office for review.
- High School GPA – If you have earned a United States high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on an unweighted 4.0 scale, you can be placed into college-level English and any course with English or reading as a minimum competency.
If you have earned a cumulative United States high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on an unweighted 4.0 scale with successful completion of a C or better in both semesters of a 4th year of math, you can be placed into certain college-level math courses. Please submit your official 8th-semester high school transcript to the ECC Admissions Office for review.
- Prior College Coursework – If you have taken college-level courses at another college/university, you may have satisfied minimum competency requirements. The math department may accept developmental coursework from another college. Please submit college transcripts to the ECC Admissions Office for review.
- Early College Credit – Visit elgin.edu/testing for course credit awarded for AP, CLEP, and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams.
- Reading – Grade of "C" or better in RDG091 or LTC099.
- Writing – Grade of "C" or better in ENG098 or LTC099.
- Math – Grade of "C" or better in MTH098 or MTH099.
- ECC Placement Tests – If you have not taken the ACT, SAT, PARCC, or high school equivalency tests and achieved the appropriate scores, you must take ECC's placement tests in reading, writing, and/or math.
If you meet the college-readiness math requirement and want to enroll in MTH 114 or higher you will also need to take the math placement assessment.