Athletic Eligibility Procedure
National Junior College Athletics Association rules can be clarified or interpreted by ECC Athletics Office.
- There is no age limit for participation.
- Students must be in regular attendance within 15 calendar days from the beginning of classes in the semester for which students choose to participate.
- All athletes are required to furnish a physical examination given by a physician prior to each college year in which they compete. Physical exam verification must be cleared through the Athletic Department before a student is allowed to practice with a team.
- Students must maintain enrollment in 12 or more credit hours of college work as listed in the college catalog during each semester of athletic participation. Students who drop below 12 credit hours become ineligible immediately for athletic participation.
- Prior to a second season of participation in NJCAA certified sports, students must have passed and accumulated 24 semester credit hours or 36 quarter credit hours with a 2.0 GPA or higher. Credits earned at another college must be accepted at the certifying college.
- At the conclusion of the first, full-time semester a student must have passed at least 12 credit hours per semester, with a 1.75 GPA or higher to be eligible for the upcoming semester.
- At the conclusion of the second semester and all subsequent semesters thereafter, a student must satisfy one of the following two requirements to be eligible for an upcoming semester.
- Pass a minimum of 12 credit hours with a 1.75 GPA or higher during the previous semester of full-time enrollment; or
- Pass and accumulate a number of credit hours equal to 12 times the number of semesters in which the student was previously enrolled full-time (12 or more credits) with a 1.75 accumulated GPA or higher.
(Interpretation: If a student was enrolled in 12 or more credits during each of three previous semesters, the student will need at least 36 credit hours with a 1.75 GPA or higher, i.e., 12 x 3 = 36.)
- Students are allowed only two seasons of participation in a given sport at any intercollegiate level.
- Students who transfer from a four-year college or university shall be eligible if they satisfy these eligibility rules.
- Students who transfer from two-year colleges must check with the Athletic Department for an eligibility interpretation.
- Students who have not been enrolled in college full-time for a period of 18 calendar months shall be eligible to compete in the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Students who have received a college degree at any level may still be eligible to participate in junior college athletics provided the students meet the criteria as described above.