Payment of Elgin Community College Financial Obligations Incurred by Employees 2.203
The Elgin Community College Treasurer is authorized to withhold from an employee's payroll check any outstanding employee financial obligations due the College, according to the following guidelines.
- The College will first make personal or written contact with the employee before
withholding outstanding financial obligations. The employee may make an appeal to the vice president of the division (to which the payment is owed) to discuss reasons for late payment, such as (but not limited to):
- Check written with insufficient funds
- Travel advances not receipted or verified
- Overpayment of a bi-weekly paycheck in error
- An employee will have 30 days from personal or written contact by the College to make an appeal or to pay his/her outstanding debt.
- If neither is made, a letter will be sent to notify the employee that a withdrawal will be made from their next paycheck(s) until the outstanding debt is paid.
- If an employee appeal is made and is unsuccessful, he/she must pay their outstanding debt within 30 days of notification of the denied appeal.
- If it is not paid within 30 days, a letter will be sent to notify the employee that a withdrawal will made from their next paycheck(s) until the outstanding debt is paid.
- A $30.00 fee may be deducted from the employee’s paycheck for any check issued to ECC with insufficient funds.
- Past due obligations owed to the ECC by terminated, resigning or retiring employees will be discussed between the employee and the Chief Human Resources Officer before the amount is deducted from the final paycheck. Please review Administrative Procedure 2.201 Payroll Deductions.