Administrative Procedure 5.101
Elgin Community College recognizes that certain employees have demonstrated exemplary service over the course of their careers. Such service is generally rewarded through promotion and other awards and methods of recognition. However, in cases where an employee’s service and contributions to the College have been over a long period and have been particularly meritorious and significant, such employee may, upon retirement from the College, be eligible for emeritus designation.
The emeritus title recognizes the value the College places on the experience, knowledge, and ability of its retiring/retired employee. Emeritus status encourages retiring/retired employees to remain a part of the College, maintain their professional identity, and continue to be productive members of the educational community. Such designation shall be awarded in conformance with the criteria and process that follow.
In order to qualify for Emeritus status, the employee must:
- Serve in the position of Dean or higher;
- retired from College;
- demonstrated meritorious service, and upheld the mission, vision, values, and Strategic Goals of the College;
- have provided a minimum of 12 years of full-time service to the College upon retirement.
Note: Employees who pass away before retiring may be awarded posthumously if they meet the minimum criteria.
Nomination & Selection Emeritus
- Employees must be nominated by a direct supervisor.
- Prior to or within 6 months after the date of retirement, the direct supervisor must submit an application to nominate the employee to be considered for emeritus status to Human Resources.
- Such request should include evidence of meritorious service and a minimum of two letters of support, with at least one letter from a College administrator familiar with their service to the College and one from the nominating direct supervisor.
- The President’s Cabinet will consider emeritus nominations by reviewing the submitted materials and any other materials necessary to properly evaluate the request.
- The President will recommend nominations to the Board of Trustees for a final decision.
Responsibilities and Privileges of Emeritus Status
Emeritus title recipients are encouraged to serve as a voluntary resource to their former departments and the College at large. Emeritus title recipients will be accorded the following privileges that honor and utilize their expertise:
- A College ID card
- Emeritus business cards upon request
- Access to the Fitness and Recreation Center
- Access to the Library
- Opportunity to participate in commencement and other official College events
- Attendance at campus events open to College employees
- Receipt of campus publications, announcements, and event invitations, as determined by the College
- Participation in campus seminars, colloquia, lectures, ad hoc committees, and other scholarly pursuits
- Opportunity to volunteer at the College
This policy does not apply to ECC Faculty and can be superseded by any provision that is collectively bargained or mandated by law.