File Access - Academic (Windows XP)
When you log on to a classroom computer with your Academic Computer Account (your accessECC User ID and password), files saved to your My Documents and on the Desktop are saved to the network automatically. We use a technology called WebDAV to allow students and faculty to connect to our file server and access your academic files when you're not on ECC's Academic network.
You can also connect from OS X» and Vista/Windows 7»
Do not configure WebDAV on any public use computer or when logged on to a classroom computer with an anonymous login. Otherwise the next person to use the computer could potentially access your files!
- If you are unsure whether you are logged on with an anonymous account or not, log off of Windows and log back in with your personal Windows account before proceeding.
- Delete all of your links from the 'My Network Places' folder and log off.
- Double-click on the "My Network Places" icon on the desktop or on the Start Menu.
- Select "Add a network place".
- Select "Choose another network location" and click 'Next'.
- Enter the "URL address" (below) you wish to connect to and click 'Next'.
- https://myfiles.student.elgin.edu/docs/YourUserID (My Documents)
- https://myfiles.student.elgin.edu/desktop/YourUserID (Desktop files)
- Enter your Academic Computer Account ID and password.
Note: File Access login requires the same User ID and password as your
accessECC login information. Find your User ID and password
- Rename this connection or use the default name and click 'Next'.
- You can now access your academic files by clicking on the named link from your "My Network Places".