Minimum Competencies 1.104
All Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) general education courses require competencies that students must meet prior to entering these courses:
- Completion of a designated developmental course with a grade of "C" or better.
- An appropriate placement or other college-recognized assessment score.
- Completion of an appropriate equivalent education course that shares the same minimum competency with a grade of "C" or better (Exceptions: college level English and math classes).
- Completion of an AA, AS, AES, or AFA degree or higher.
- Current matriculation status in another accredited four-year institution and enrollment at ECC for summer only. Proof of enrollment will be required.
- Students affected by this policy may select non-IAI general education classes while enrolling in one or more developmental classes in order to be enrolled as full-time (12 credit hours) students.
Download general education courses listing
There may be other competency prerequisites for classes beyond the ones listed above.
- Check prerequisites in the catalog
- Talk to an ECC admissions representative, 847-214-7385, Building B, Room B110, or an ECC counselor, 847-214-7390, Building B, Room B120, ECC Campus
- Review the minimum competency requirements by program guide to see what is required for your program.
Minimum competencies may be demonstrated by any one of the following ways:
- Students who have earned an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Engineering Science (AES), an Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) degree or higher have met these minimum competency requirements. A transcript is required prior to registering in college-level coursework.
- Students who are enrolled in another accredited institution and are interested in taking courses at ECC must provide proof of successful completion of a college level course used to satisfy a minimum competency.
- Students who have completed developmental coursework in reading at another institution will need to complete the Compass Reading placement test to meet the reading minimum competencies.
- ACT score on reading subtest of 18; SAT reading score of 450.
- COMPASS Reading test score of 80.
- Grade of “C” or better in RDG 091.
- Students who have completed developmental coursework in writing at another institution will need to complete ECCs English Essay or Compass E-Write placement test to meet the writing minimum competencies.
- ACT score on English subtest of 20; SAT Verbal test score of 490.
- English essay test score of 5-5.
- COMPASS E-Write score of 6.
- Grade of “C” or better in ENG098.
- Elgin Community College will accept developmental math coursework from another college if that course has been approved by the ECC math department.
- COMPASS math test score in Algebra domain of 55-99.
- Grade of “C” or better in MTH098.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a general education “IAI” course?
These are general education courses identified by the statewide Illinois Articulation Initiative as transferable toward four-year degree requirements at IAI member universities. Visit www.itransfer.org.
- How do I find out if the class I’m interested in has minimum competency requirements?
Talk to an ECC admissions representative, 847-214-7385, Building B, Room B110, or an ECC counselor, 847-214-7390, Building B, Room B120, on campus.
- I need to take a placement test for the class I want. What’s my next step?
Students must complete an application for admission before testing. Apply»
Go to the testing center. No appointments necessary January through May and September through December. From June through August, call ahead. More»
- What if I’ve met my minimum competency requirements at another college?
Send copies of your transcripts to:
ECC Admission Office
1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin, IL 60123-7193
Or bring them to Building B, Room B110, on campus. Upon verifying you have met the minimum competency, we will update your student record so you can register.