Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content

At Your Service

Student Accounts
Bldg B, Room B151, ECC Campus
Tel: 847-214-7380
Fax: 847-214-7445
: M-Th 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.;
F 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 
Closed Fridays June - Aug.

At Your Service

Registration & Records Office
Bldg B, Room B105, ECC Campus
Tel: 847-214-7393
Fax: 847-214-7484

Tax Form (TSC1098-T)

The procedures to access your 1098-T are outlined below. Need more information? Read FAQs

Elgin Community College (ECC) is required to send this tax form to students who have eligible educational expenses. The student can then use the information provided to determine if he/she can claim an education tax credit.

If we do not have your SSN on file you will need to come to Registration and complete a W-9 form
Note: Registration will not accept this information over the phone.

If you would like to be able to view/print your 2013 1098T online, please provide ECC with your SSN no later than Tuesday, December 17, 2013.

Login Instructions

  1. To login go to: TSC1098-T Web Services

    1098-T Login Screen image
  2. In the Site ID text box: type 10419
  3. In the Username text box: type your 7-digit ECC Student ID | What's my Student ID?
  4. In the Password text box: type the last 4-digits of your Social Security Number
  5. Click Log In*

*Note: On your first login, you will be required to enter a new password. It must be a minimum of seven characters and contain at least one numeric digit. If you logged in last year, your password is the same. If you have forgotten your password, click "Forgot Password," and you will receive a temporary password via email.

Revoke Consent

By accessing this site, you automatically consent to receiving an electronic copy of your 1098-T and you will not receive a hardcopy through the mail. Your consent will be valid for the current tax year, as well as all future tax years, unless revoked by you. You can revoke consent by accessing the site or in writing to the address below:

Elgin Community College
Attn: Student Accounts
1700 Spartan Drive
Elgin, IL 60123-7193

Other Information

Your 1098-T will be available online for seven years following the close of a calendar tax year. Select the tax year you want to view from the  drop-down box on the left side of the screen.


You can print and email a copy of your 1098-T for your records.

  1. Print - select View/Print 1098-T and a PDF image will appear; which you can save or print.
  2. Email - select Email 1098-T and provide the address to which you want to email your form.

Please be aware that if you should choose to obtain information from this secure website via one of the above methods, you assume responsibility for the security of the images or documents.


Expand all questions | Collapse all questions | Print FAQs

1. Can I still attend ECC if I do not have a SSN/TIN?

Answer: While the IRS requires ECC to request SSNs/TINs, you do not need one to register for classes.

2. How do I obtain a TIN?

Answer:If you do not have a TIN, apply for one immediately. To apply for an SSN, get Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, from your local Social Security Administration office or get this form online at You may also get this form by calling 1-800-772-1213. Use Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, to apply for an ITIN, or Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, to apply for an EIN. You can apply for an EIN online by accessing the IRS website at and clicking on Employer Identification Number (EIN) under Starting a Business. You can get Forms W-7 and SS-4 from the IRS by visiting or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

3. What if I applied for a TIN or I plan on applying soon. Should I still complete the W-9?

Answer: If you are asked to complete Form W-9 but do not have a TIN, apply for a TIN and write “Applied For” in the space for the TIN, sign and date the form, and give it to the requester. Note. Entering “Applied For” means that you have already applied for a TIN or that you intend to apply for one soon.

4. What is a 1098T?

Answer: The 1098T form is a required IRS form to report qualified educational expenses. Qualified educational expenses include courses for which you receive academic credit. This form is informational only in order to let students know they may qualify for federal income tax education credits. It should not be considered as a tax opinion or advice. Please consult with your tax advisor to find out what additional information you need to qualify for the tax credit.

5. What do I do with it?

Answer: Keep it with your tax documents and consult your tax preparer or the go to, to determine if you are eligible to take advantage of the federal income tax education credit.

6. I opted in for the prior year to receive my 1098T online. Will I need to opt in again or will I receive my 1098T in the mail?

Answer: If you opted in last year, you will not receive a 1098T form in the mail. If you have changed your mind, you need to follow directions on the login page for Revoke Consent.

7. I lost my form that was mailed to me. Can I get a new one?

Answer: Yes. Simply follow the login instructions listed above and print out a copy for your records. Remember by doing this, you are opting in to receive your 1098T online for future years.

8. I received a form by mail. Can I still print one online?

Answer: Yes. You can by following the login instructions provided. However, you will be opting in for future years and will no longer receive your 1098T by mail.

9. I tried to login for my 1098T and was unsuccessful. Why?

Answer: Schools can choose to report payments OR charges. ECC reports charges. In other words, ECC reports the charges on your account from January 1 to December 31 of the tax reporting year. It can get confusing due to the timing of the registration and term cycles. If you have any questions, give the Office of Student Accounts a call at 847-214-7380 and someone can walk you through the calculation.

10. I took classes in the spring term of the current tax reporting year, but the charges are not included on my 1098T. Why?

Answer: Most likely, you signed up for your spring term classes before December 31 of the prior tax reporting year. Therefore, the charges would have been reported on last year’s 1098T.

11. How will my financial aid, scholarships or sponsorships affect my 1098T?

Answer: Student loans and 529 plans are considered the same as cash payments and are not part of the 1098T calculation. Any scholarships, grants, or other gift aid will be shown in box 5 on the 1098T. Third party sponsorship amounts will be deducted directly from charges. Box 2 on the 1098T reflects charges less sponsorship payments.

12. I need my 1098T for a prior year. Can you provide that?

Answer: ECC began providing 1098T’s online for the 2008 tax reporting year. You can access this on your own if you need a 1098T for 2008 or later. If you need one prior to that year, call the Office of Student Accounts at 847-214-7380. We can provide you with the information ECC reported to the IRS, but are unable to provide you with the actual form. The IRS does not require you to submit the form with your tax return.

13. Why should I opt in for the online 1098T?

Answer: Your 1098T will be available to you online for seven years!

  1. Easily print at your convenience!
  2. Going green helps to contribute to the health of our planet by reducing resources used to mail the forms!
  3. ECC keep its costs lower which has an effect on tuition rates!

14. What if I have more questions?

Answer: If your question is tax related, contact the IRS at If your question concerns the information provided on your 1098T, contact the Student Accounts Office at 847-214-7380.

Note: Elgin Community College refrains from offering tax advice regarding the 1098T to students.