Testing results are commonly used to assess preparedness for college and placement in appropriate course work. Because ECC wants you to succeed, placement testing is essential!
Students are advised to send their transcripts and ACT scores or complete the ECC placement tests as early as possible to have the best selection of courses and course times. Get details»
Who Needs It
- Students who will be completing an ECC degree or certificate program that requires satisfaction of writing, reading and/or math minimum competency requirements. View the minimum competencies procedures»
- Students wishing to enroll in courses requiring placement testing prerequisites, if they are unable to meet the prerequisite through ACT scores or prior college coursework.
- Students who received below a 20 on their English ACT sub-score, below an 18 on their reading ACT sub-score or below a 23 on their math sub-score.
Students may not register without either:
- appropriate ACT or SAT scores
- appropriate scores on ECC placement tests
- appropriate college transcripts
Note: Students with a SAT math score of 540 or above, or SAT reading score of 450 or above, or a SAT writing score of 490 or above , do not need to take the math, reading or English essay placement test respectively. ACT and SAT MATH scores are valid for 2 years from the date the test is taken. All students must meet course prerequisites.
Placement Testing Workshops
Workshops are held each month for students who need to refresh their knowledge of English, math or reading prior to placement testing. Get details»
How It Works
Most placement tests are not timed.
- A completed ECC application for admission on file prior to testing
- Bring your photo ID, ECC ID number, a pencil and a calculator (for Math Placement Test)
- Allow three hours to take the three tests (reading, essay writing and math). More»
- Students are only allowed to take a placement test twice (once the student starts the math, reading or English class sequence, placement testing is not allowed). View placement test appeals»
- Reading and math placement results are available as soon as possible. English placement test results may take as long as 14 business days. Please plan accordingly to have the English placement test results completed prior to registration. All placement test results can be viewed on accessECC Portal.
Types of Testing