Protecting your personal privacy is a priority at ECC. Our commitment to respecting your privacy and safeguarding the personal information you share with us extends to the college’s online operations and services. ECC is committed to complying with the following acts along with all other applicable federal and state laws:
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which generally prohibits the release of student education records without student permission. The only information which may be disclosed in print form or online without prior notice of your consent is directory information which is defined as name, address, dates of attendance, major, degrees, awards, honors, and weight and height of athletes. For complete information, see the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), which generally safeguards the integrity and confidentiality of health information that is transmitted electronically.
- The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB), which generally safeguards nonpublic, personal information, in electronic or paper form associated with customers of ECC’s financial services and products.
- The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). As a state institution, ECC may be legally required under this act or other laws to provide specific information, such as some electronic correspondence sent via the ECC Web site.
Personally Identifiable Information
ECC will not collect personally identifiable information about you (name, address, social security number, telephone number, or email address) unless you provide it voluntarily. If you do submit personal data we may use it in the following ways: to complete a request or order; to assist us in better understanding the needs of our constituents to improve our products and services; to reply to or contact you. ECC will not sell, rent or market personal data to third parties.
Please note that the college may contact you via non-secure email. Please do not include information in an email that you would not want someone else to know.
Children 13 years old and younger
Individuals under the age of 13 must get parental consent to send personal information through our Web site or via email. For more information on the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 please visit the Federal Trade Commission Web site http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm.
All information collected for children 13 years of age or younger, including all contact information, is used solely for the purpose of ECC. ECC may use the contact information to confirm registration, provide current and future course information, provide information on upcoming course offerings and college events, confirm payment, and mailings related to ECC.
Non-personally identifiable information collected automatically and cookies
In some cases, information that is not personally identifiable may be automatically collected and/or logged. For example, information about the browser, operating system, IP address, and the domain name of sites that are linked to the ECC Web site. When you view the ECC Web site, some information may be stored on your computer. These “cookies” allow us to tailor a Web site or advertisement to better match your interests and preferences. With most Internet browsers, you can alter user preferences to erase cookies from your hard drive, block cookies, or have it prompt you to either accept or refuse to store the cookie. Refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.
Third-party Web sites
Remarketing with Google Analytics
We use Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise online. Third-party vendors, including Google, may display our ads on sites across the Internet. ECC and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on visitor's past visits to our website.
Campus Map with Google Maps API
ECC displays a map of the college that shows building information and the services we offer. ECC utilizes Google Maps API to:
- show campus information
- generate application functions (i.e., street view, satellite imagery, etc.)
- display personal information (i.e., driving directions from the address you specify)