Public safety training center construction.
Facilities Master Plan
Since 2009, Elgin Community College has implemented its Facilities Master Plan, expanding and renovating the college campus to improve learning and support student success. The college funded the plan through the $178 million referendum passed in April 2009. The plan has resulted in the following improvements to the campus:
- Expansion from 837,690 to 1,108,073 square feet of space
- Renovation of two former light-industrial properties into the 71,000-square-foot Building K featuring:
- 26 new classrooms
- Five new computer labs
- Construction of Building A featuring:
- State-of-the-art healthcare training facilities that simulate a working hospital
- Construction of Renner Academic Library and Learning Resources which replaces an outdated library that was a third of its current size
- Renovation of Buildings B, D, and portions of G and M featuring:
- Renovated classrooms, labs, and offices
- Revamped lounge
- New greenhouse
- Renovated cafeteria
- Updated signage and wayfinding throughout campus
In 2014, construction will begin on a Public Safety and Sustainability Center in Burlington, IL, the final major project of the current Facilities Master Plan. View project details»
Awards and Recognition
ECC Facilities Master Plan projects have been recognized with numerous awards for quality design and sustainability elements.
Building A – Health and Life Sciences Building
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LLED) Silver certification.
- Wisconsin American Institute of Architects (AIA) Honor Award
- Construction Industry Service Corp. (CISCO) Pride in Construction Award – New Construction – Suburbs (above $20 million) category
- 2014 Architectural and Interior Design Edition of Learning by Design
- Outstanding Design by American School and University Magazine in their 2014 Educational Interiors Showcase, the premier competition honoring education interiors excellence.
Building C - Renner Academic Library and Learning Resources
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification.
- Dewberry Architects received a Merit Award from the Association of Licensed Architects.
- Recognized in the Library Association Reporter.
- Preservation/Adaptive Reuse Award from the American Institute of Architects Northeast Illinois Chapter, 2011 Design Awards.
- Architectural Portfolio/2011 Educational Interiors Showcase/Special Category – Renovation Award by American School and University Magazine.
Budget and Accountability
The college has worked diligently and respectfully to spend the referendum dollars according to plan, completing capital projects on time and within the allotted budget, if and when possible. No referendum dollars were used for operating expenses. All bonds for the projects have been sold. Below is a graph showing the original April 2009 budget and the final project costs.
Health & Life Sciences Building
|| $41.9 million
|| $27.5 million
Renner Academic Library & Learning Resources
|| $19.2 million
|Buildings D & G
MSC & ATC Renovations
|| $9.4 million
|| $6.6 million
Multipurpose Classroom Building
|| $15.0 million
|Public Safety Training Center
|Campus Safety and Security and Traffic Infrastructure
|Long-term Infrastructure Replacement and Deferred Maintenance
|Purchase Option: Land Acquisition
|| $12.0 million
|Bond Costs/Contingencies (3%)