At Your Service
Bldg B, Room B115, ECC Campus
Hours: M-Th 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.; F & Sa: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Closed Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays - June - Aug.
No tests will be administered 90 minutes prior to the scheduled closing time.
Minimum Competencies 1.104
A Minimum competency is a specific type of prerequisite that is mandated at ECC for all Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) general education transfer courses.
All ECC IAI general education courses have required minimum competencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics that students must meet prior to enrolling into these courses. Some courses have multiple minimum competencies. Students must meet all minimum competencies and any additional prerequisites in order to register for a course. Students satisfying the minimum competency still must be placed within the appropriate Reading, English, or Math courses.
Students who have earned an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Engineering Science (AES), an Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) degree or higher have met these minimum competency requirements. A transcript is required prior to registering in college-level coursework.
Students who are enrolled in another accredited institution and are interested in taking courses at ECC must provide proof of successful completion of a college level course used to satisfy a minimum competency.
Minimum competencies may be demonstrated by any one of the following ways:
- Students who have completed developmental coursework in reading at another institution will need to complete the Compass Reading placement test to meet the reading minimum competencies.
- ACT score on reading subtest of 18; SAT reading score of 450. Scores are valid five (5) years from test date.
- COMPASS Reading test score of 80. Scores are valid five (5) years from test date.
- Grade of "C" or better in RDG 091.
- Students who have completed developmental coursework in writing at another institution will need to complete ECCs English Essay or Compass E-Write placement test to meet the writing minimum competencies.
- ACT score on English subtest of 20; SAT Verbal test score of 490. Scores are valid five (5) years from test date.
- English essay test score of 5-5.
- COMPASS E-Write score of 6 (only used to satisfy minimum competency for courses other than English) Scores are valid five (5) years from test date.
- Grade of "C" or better in ENG098.
- Elgin Community College will accept developmental math coursework from another college, if course was successfully completed with a grade of C or better, and if that course has been approved by the ECC math department.
- ACT score on math subtest of 23; SAT math test score of 540. Scores are valid two (2) years from test date.
- COMPASS math test score in Algebra domain of 55-99. Scores are valid two (2) years from test date.
- COMPASS math test score in Algebra domain of 38-54 and a minimum unweighted high school grade point average of 3.5/4.0 with a grade of C or better in two (2) semesters of second year high school algebra. Test scores are valid for two (2) years from test date. Valid only for math courses.
- Grade of "C" or better in MTH098 or MTH 099.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a general education “IAI” course?
These are general education courses identified by the statewide Illinois Articulation Initiative as transferable toward four-year degree requirements at IAI member universities. Visit
- How do I find out if the class I’m interested in has minimum competency requirements?
Talk to an ECC admissions representative, 847-214-7385, Building B, Room B110, or an ECC counselor, 847-214-7390, Building B, Room B120,
- I need to take a placement test for the class I want. What’s my next step?
Students must complete an application for admission before testing.
Go to the testing center. No appointments necessary January through May and September through December. From June through August, call ahead.
- What if I’ve met my minimum competency requirements at another college?
Send copies of your transcripts to:
ECC Admission Office
1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin, IL 60123-7193
Or bring them to Building B, Room B110,
on campus. Upon verifying you have met the minimum competency, we will update your student record so you can register.