Election of Community College Trustees
The board of trustees is comprised of seven trustees elected at-large from Community College District 509 (which includes all who reside within public school districts 300, 301, 303 and U-46). An eighth trustee is a student elected by the student body.
Election Dates & Terms
Trustees are elected in the consolidated election held the first Tuesday in April in odd-numbered years. They serve six-year terms on a rotating basis. Election winners are seated as trustees within 28 days of election. Student trustees are elected annually and seated in April.
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on the date of the election
- Be a resident of Illinois and the district for at least one year immediately preceding the election
- Not be a member of a common school board
Qualifications for the student trustee are defined by student government.
In the event of a trustee vacancy occurring between elections, remaining trustees appoint a replacement. (Specific laws apply in the replacement of the appointed trustee when the next consolidated election is held.) Student government appoints a replacement for any vacancy of the student trustee.
- Determine the policies which guide ECC
- Monitor its fiscal affairs
- Oversee the administration of the institution by the president
The board of trustees serves as a deliberative, legislative, and planning body which governs the college in accordance with Illinois law and the U.S. Constitution.